Welcome to the Brendo McCormack Podcast. I'm the founder of a dating app called Fitafy. I interview fitness industry entrepreneurs and find out their stories in business.
How a Fitness Tech Startup Bootstrapped It's Way to Success with Avatar Nutrition
Many people struggle with their diets, not necessarily because they lack tools, but because they do not have support. With so much information out there, it is hard to know what to take on board, so having someone to guide you undoubtedly makes all the difference. This customer-centric, personal approach underpins Avatar Nutrition’s purpose-driven mission.
We welcome back the platform’s co-founders, Katie Coles and Mark Springer, to hear about what has happened since we last spoke to them. We kick off with a quick recap of what the platform does and how it makes flexible dieting as accessible as possible. As with all startups, getting things off the ground was far from easy. Katie and Mark shed light on some of the obstacles they faced, including their lack of tech knowledge, manually running the platform, and creating the database off of Mark’s laptop!
While these things posed challenges at the time, there is no doubt that this slow, iterative process has contributed to the platform Avatar is today. We also hear about their decision to migrate from a web app to a native one and how they incorporate client feedback into their product. Katie and Mark are incredible entrepreneurs who are a great example of what can happen when you are willing to take lessons out of failures and just keep going. Be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
• Hear about what Avatar Nutrition is and the impetus for starting the platform.
• A significant client transformation Mark saw when he was working as a personal trainer.
• How Mark and Katie came together and the winding road they took to start the platform.
• Transitioning from a web to native app and what that process has been like.
• How the slow, iterative process of building Avatar contributed to its great database.
• The power of having a person, rather than a computer respond to customer queries.
• How Avatar on-boarded their first 1500 customers through word-of-mouth advertising.
• Avatar’s purpose-driven mission: How this has kept the needle moving.
• Discovering flexible dieting changed Katie’s life and helped her overcome her eating disorder.
• Unexpected obstacles and tragedies Mark and Katie have faced building Avatar.
• The journey of understanding tech better and what Mark and Katie have learned.
• Some of the reasons for moving from a web to a native app.
• What’s on the horizon for Avatar now that they have launched the native app.
What's Going on at CrossFit HQ with Ed Morrison
This turbulent year has affected businesses across the board, and CrossFit is no exception. Joining us to talk about shepherding CrossFit Oceania through these trying times is an OG of the sport in Australia, Ed Morrison. We hear about the many hats Ed has worn, from coach and trainer to his position at the HQ.
As a box owner himself, Ed understands the CrossFit ecosystem inside and out, and we chat about the way the community has banded together to try to get everyone through to the other side.
Perth Nutritionist Katie B
Our guest on the podcast, Katie B, a Perth based (Canadian born) Nutritionist. Katie B helps her clients find a balance in life whilst reaching sustainable fitness results.
During the episode, we find out that Katie is a Type 1 diabetic and learn how she manages her diabetes whilst living an active lifestyle.
Katie B works out of RBT Gym Canning Vale.
IFBB Men's Physique Competitor Xavier Wills
Xavier Wills is an IFBB Pro League Men's Physique athlete from Perth. Last year he placed second at the Arnold Sports Festival Australia, narrowly missing out on a Pro Card.
In this interview, we talk about his comeback to the stage after suffering from severe Glandular Fever. He is about to attempt to win his IFBB Pro Card at the 2020 Arnold Sports Festival Australia.
2020 Australian Crossfit Championship Athletes from Perth
On March 5-8th, three men from Perth will be competing at the Australian Crossfit Championship on the Gold Coast. The Aus Crossfit Champs is one of the biggest competitions in the country. Our athlete's headed over are Jonathan Dunlop, Cal Foster and John Champion.
Perth Nutrition Coach Dan England
Daniel England, the owner of Team Ecto, is one of the leading Nutrition Coaches in Perth.
Brendo is a stellar host who is articulate, deep, yet down to earth and witty in his approach.
The PFF Podcast is the most insightful fitness podcast in Australia which gives a quality platform for everyday local athletes to share their journey and improve the lives of listeners.
The fitness community in Perth would not be the same without the PFF Podcast or Brendo.
From one frother to another. I love your work. ❤️
Why wouldn’t you listen to this? Epic host with awesome guests!
Good to listen to people having fun with the content they create!