Visit us at shapedbydog.com
If you were to google for help for an anxious, stressed, or reactive dog, you’d get many suggestions, many of which are good! But there are critical elements that are essential for you to know. We’re covering the 10 things that are vital for you to help your dog get into the confidence zone.
In the episode you'll hear:
• Why training should be about reinforcement rather than isolating what you don't like.
• The reason not to put your dog or yourself in a position where there will be judgment.
• About choosing a dog training program that will protect your dog's confidence.
• Why to know your dog's number one highest value reward.
• The difference between perception triggers and fear triggers.
• That triggers don't stay static and get lower or grow in intensity.
• Why to know your dog's Confidence Zone and how to grow it in stages.
• About Matching Law and how that applies to what you do with your dog.
• How creating good active and calm triggers will help you help your dog.
• Why it's important to condition a love for any tools you will be using.
• That some dogs need behavioral medication, and it can make training easier.
1. Podcast Episode 168: Creating Confidence For Anxious, Stressed Or Reactive Dogs Part 1 - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/168/
2. Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/94/
3. Podcast Episode 46: Is Your Dog Trying to Dominate You and What You Can Do About It - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/46/
4. Agility Nation - https://www.agility-nation.com/
5. Podcast Episode 11: The Power of Permission in Dog Training - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/11/
6. Podcast Episode 90: Premack, Dog Training and Transfer of Value - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/90/
7. Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/71/
8. Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/112/
9. YouTube Playlist: Fearful Dogs Help with Susan Garrett - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLphRRSxcMHy0KAsqgnkMWv0v-5JGjNQG_
10. Podcast Episode 167: Reduce Your Dog’s Stress And Anxiety In Training - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/167/
11. Podcast Episode 166: Puppy Freedom: How Much Is Too Much? - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/166/
12. YouTube Playlist: Dog Training Games with Susan Garrett - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLphRRSxcMHy2TzttCtZVFwzwMGayAsaYe
13. Podcast Episode 111: How An Anchor Dog Can Help Overcome Your Dog’s Anxiety Or Reactivity - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/111/
14. Matching Law (Wikipedia) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matching_law
15. Podcast Episode 86: How to Train Unmotivated or Overexcited Dogs - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/86/
16. YouTube Video: Puppy's First Training with Susan Garrett: Shaping, Targeting and Collar Conditioning - https://youtu.be/ticB_1Twx6E
17. Podcast Episode 40: Using A Head Halter On A Dog, Why My Approach Is So Different - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/40/
18. Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube - https://youtu.be/WTheqs3fqgE