Episode 03 – Be a lazy lawyer
MINDSET: Keep a look out for minions
In this episode of the Checklist Legal Podcast…
• Why minions is not a dirty word
• We look at the different types of minions available to you
• Examples of some basic Robot Minions to try
• Tactics for approaching minions
• What to do if you have no minions
• It's great to delegate!
• Minions come in all shapes, sizes, and seniority levels
• Look out for Minion Minions, Robot Minions, Contract Owner Minions and Other Party Minions
• When you have no minions and you're in the 'Contractual Pit of Despair', make it fun with temptation bundling and track your metrics to get more efficient.
• Send an email to Verity@checklistlegal.com and you’ll see an example of an automated email responder.
• Learn about sneaky, hidden, pre-filled email code: https://www.checklistlegal.com/2018/03/sneaky-hidden-prefilled-email-html-code-for-absolute-beginners/
Automated Letter Builders
• A letter to employer asking them to confirm entitlements: https://www.checklistlegal.com/2018/02/automated-letter-builder-check-your-pay-with-employer/
• A letter to request a formal warning instead of an infringement: https://www.checklistlegal.com/2017/07/letter_automation_how_to_get_out_of_an_infringement/
Create an ‘If X, then Y’ mindset as you approach your legal work. Start testing out automated workflows and reduce your admin time.
• IFTTT: https://ifttt.com/
• Zapier: https://zapier.com/
• Microsoft Flow: https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/
DocuSign is easy to use and simple to get started. As your skills grow, you can increase the functionality and automate more. Use this link and get a 30 day free trial and 10% off if you purchase: https://refer.docusign.com/s/verity
Omaha World Herald, ‘To Solve Hard Problem, Give It to ‘Lazy Man'‘ (1 February 1947) CTPS News Service, Omaha, Nebraska. See also quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/26/lazy-job/#note-8269-3 for differing origins of this ‘get a lazy person to do a hard job’ quote.
M Tallarico, ‘The creative minds and confidants that make up Beyoncé's entourage’ (27 April 2016) Hello Magazine ca.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/02016042725914/inside-beyonce-s-entourage%20/ accessed 21 May 2017.
Henchmen from ‘Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery’ (1997). See also austinpowers.wikia.com/wiki/Steamroller_Henchman. Minions from ‘Despicable Me’ (2010).
See Merriam-Webster Dictionary, merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minion and N Whitman, ‘The meaning of minion’, Quick and Dirty Tips, published on Grammar Girl, 13 March 2015 quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/the-meaning-of-minion, both accessed 27 May 2017.
K Kelly, ‘Robots will take our jobs’, Gear (24 December 2012) wired.com/2012/12/ff-robots-will-take-our-jobs/, accessed 27 May 2017
Head to https://www.checklistlegal.com/podcast for show notes, resources links, and templates.
Music: 'Sway this way' by @SilentPartner