Episode 06: Triple O Productivity for your contract document - How to make your contract document more productive
Mindset: WRITE FOR READABILITY
On this episode of the Checklist Legal Podcast, we are covering the Triple O Productivity way to approach your contract docucument. This means systematically looking at the document and:
1. Obliterating the things in our contract we don’t need,
2. Optimising the things in the contract we do need, and then identifying what in the contract we can
3. Outsource to others to make document writing and preparation faster
• Get rid of any part of the contract help support the main purpose of the contract
• Optimise your contract for speed and readability by structuring it like a Reverse Sandwich - pull things that change to the front or back.
This contract hacking process of Triple O Productivity will has key questions for each stage:
1. Obliterate - Key Question: Does this part of the contract support the main purpose of the contract?
2. Optimise - Key Question: What changes in this contract and what stays the same… Is there a way to make this part of the contract clearer?
3. Outsource - Key Question: Can someone else (or something else) enter that information into the contract for me to create the final document faster?
Two challenges for this episode related to the Obliterate and Optimise phases of contract document productivity.
1. Find a contract document which you use a lot, and test out the Quick Wins Checklist to see how much improvement you can get from ditching common time wasters (http://bit.ly/Productive_Contract_Checklist)
2. Using the sample template from the Checklist Legal Resources vault, create a basic, electronically optimised Key Details table for a contract.
Get the template Key Details Table and other free resources via https://www.checklistlegal.com/resources
Quick wins for contract productivity: a Nozbe.how electronic checklist
Caitlin Whiteman, ‘Why easy-to-read is easy to like – what science tells us about the remarkable benefits of simplicity’, (21 March 2016) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-easy-to-read-easy-like-what-science-tells-us-caitlin-whiteman
Head to https://www.checklistlegal.com/podcast for show notes, resources links, and templates.
Music: 'Sway this way' by @SilentPartner