The interaction between residential tenancies and bodies corporate, and how the RTA fits in.
An informative discussion on the role of the RTA and managing strata tenancy matters with Lynn Smith, Senior Community Education Officer at Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)
Lynn provides an overview of the RTA’s role and function in relation to tenancies in Queensland, and in particular, those tenancies occurring within a Body Corporate. Topics covered include discussion on:
• An overview of RTA forms and what they are used for;
• Role and scope of RTA:
- RTA Conciliators;
- RTA Investigation team.
• What matters and parties the RTA can deal with and interaction with cross-jurisdictional matters;
• Differences in dispute resolution pathways open for tenants and landlords and typical disputes that come to the RTA for dispute resolution, such as:
- By-law disputes – the effect of Body Corporate by-laws in tenancy matters, and how the RTA assists its customers;
- Managing damage to Common Property caused by tenants – a discussion on maintenance vs fair wear and tear;
- Breach Notices.
• Tips on applying for dispute resolution assistance with the RTA;
• What happens if a matter is not resolved during RTA dispute resolution processes;
• RTA penalty and enforcement processes for breaches of Queensland tenancy laws, such as unlawful entry, failure to lodge rental bonds with the RTA, failure to supply required RTA documentation;
• Role of on-site managers in lodging the bond application;
• Tips for landlords and tenants in better managing tenancy issues: communication, being informed of the rules and where to find them;
• The review of residential tenancy legislation.
RTA contact details:
Tel: 1300 366 311
RTA News signup: