Supplemental podcast commentaries for your giant rubber monster movies.
Live Commentary: Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)
Here it is, folks! The commentary that August Ragone and I recorded at G-Fest XXII is now available to download. So basically, I wanted to do something special and different for my favorite movie, Toho’s 1965 epic creation: Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (Kaiju Daisenso). And during his last visit, well-known kaiju historian and author of Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters, August chatted with me about what we could do as a future collaboration. This is one of those crazy ideas we came up with and I am very glad that G-Fest accepted the panel. After a long day of prep and panelling at the convention, this was the last piece of the convention’s programming of the day. I was wiped out, but it was fantastic to sit down and talk about my favorite Godzilla film with my friend August.
Just a word of warning on the audio quality: I didn’t have the control I normally do; so the actual film audio is pretty loud. so you may have a little more trouble discerning between us and the film. Anyway, big thanks go out to August for agreeing to be part of this panel Hopefully it’s an entertaining listen!
And and one more word on the commentary itself. This was a much more laid back recording – I can pretty much guarantee that we’ll be revisiting Planet X with the Kaijucast crew in the future!
Guest Commentary: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Just a heads up for this long-overdue posting, you won’t hear your Kaijucast Crew on this commentary. A lot of people have contacted us after hearing this commentary mentioned on the podcast so I thought it was a good idea to post it since it’s been available on some back road channels since March of last year. If you’ve ever heard me speak to the virtues of Classic Media’s Godzilla Raids Again commentary, you’ll know why I felt that the Godzilla vs. Megalon commentary needed to be shared. The voices you’ll hear are the same and the results are even better. And if you want to know more about why this commentary was never included on the official releases, you might want to listen to episode 92 and 107 of the Kaijucast.
Commentary: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Jeff, Bryan, Rachel and I sat down to record a commentary for what I’m saying (right now) is my favorite Godzilla film from the 1970s, Godzilla vs. Gigan (Chikyū Kogeki Meirei: Godzilla tai Gigan). In addition to everyone coming over before hand to watch the film together, I opted to read a few things instead of trying to rely on my faulty memory. I think the result is a pretty damned entertaining and informative 90 minutes.
Also, since I was unable to keep up with the score’s commentary, here is a…
Guide to Stock Music Used on GODZILLA VS. GIGAN
1. The “Main Title” is actually edited together from three sources:
a) THE BIG BOSS – Cue M12T2 (title unknown)
b) GODZILLA VS. THE THING – brief excerpt from “Destruction of the Hamikaze Hotel” (M20)
c) BIRTH OF THE JAPANESE ISLANDS – shortened edit of “Volcano” (M3)
2. A LIFETIME OF BUSINESS SAVVY – THE TOUGHEST GUY AROUND (Japanese title, “Shokon Ichidai Tenka No Abarenbo”) – “The Meiji Restoration”(M4)
3. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – brief excerpt from “Monster Land” (M3)
4. ATRAGON – “The Film That Was Sent” (M5)
5. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – excerpt from “Main Title” (M1)
6. THE BIG BOSS – Cue M15B (title unknown)
7. ATRAGON – “The Submarine Returns to Port” (M11)
8. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – excerpt from “Monster Land” (M3)
9. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – excerpt from “Monster Land” (M3)
10. LATITUDE ZERO – “Mariku and Dr. Okada” (M21)
11. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – excerpt from “Search March” (M21)
12. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – “Encounter in the Rain” (M6)
13. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – “SY-3 Sortie” (M20)
14. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – “Escape From Monster Land” (M10)
15. ATRAGON – “The Film That Was Sent” (M5)
16. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – “The Whereabouts of the Wrist”(M19)
17. BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE – edit of “Opening” (M1)
18. BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE – “Main Title” (M2)
19. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – “The Whereabouts of the Wrist”(M19)
20. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – “Search in the Fog” (M26)
21. GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER – “Discovery of the Meteor” (M6 – played twice)
22. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – edit of “Fire Dragon Pursuit” (M28)
23. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – “Major Battle at Fuji I” (M25)
24. GODZILLA VS. THE THING – edits together “Godzilla and Nagoya” (M14) and “Plan B: Electrocution” (M23)
25. GODZILLA VS. THE THING – excerpt from “Destruction of the Hamakaze Hotel” (M20)
26. GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER – “Godzilla Attacks Radon” (M19)
27. GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER – edits together “The Two Monsters Appear in Yokohama” (M11) and “The Fury of the Gravity Beam” (M15)
28. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD – “The Strange Person in the Cage” (M11)
29. Not a stock cue – original pop song written for the film
(Vocal:Ishikawa Susumu Lyrics: Sekizawa Shinichi Music: Miyaguchi Danro)
30. EXPO ’70 Mitsubishi exhibit – extended edit of “Storm” (M2)
31. EXPO ’70 Mitsubishi exhibit – extended edit of “Volcano” (M3)
32. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS – “Ending” (M29)
33. Film version of “Main Title”, edited together from three sources:
a) THE BIG BOSS – Cue M12T2 (title unknown)
b) GODZILLA VS. THE THING – brief excerpt from “Destruction of the
Hamikaze Hotel” (M20)
c) EXPO ’70 Mitsubishi exhibit – shortened edit of [...]
Drunken Commentary: Godzilla (1998)
DRUNKEN COMMENTARY ALERT: We don't hold back with our disdain for this film. We even created a drinking game for it, so if you're legally able to do so, play along. Soooo....yeah. This is for the 1998 piece of crap otherwise known as the American Godzilla. The Kaijucast urges you to drink responsibly. And we also urge you to watch the '98 Godzilla responsibly. Y'know...with this commentary!
Commentary: War of the Gargantuas
I just finished tweaking and uploading the fourth audio commentary. Thanks to a poll on Kaijucast.com, we selected the 1966 not-really-a-sequel-to-Frankenstein–Conquers–The–World kaiju epic, War Of The Gargantuas. We watched the American version of the film because it was both available on DVD and on Netflix (at least at the time of this posting). I had some serious post production to run on the audio tracks, so please forgive some of the quieter people – we’re still working out the best way to record these. Hopefully you enjoy listening almost as much as we did watching and commenting!
Commentary: Godzilla vs. Hedorah
The 3rd commentary track is now available for download. This time we dive into the hideous depths of the 1971 Toho classic from the “showa” era, Godzilla vs. Hedorah – commonly known here in the United States as Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. We were watching the international version of the film. Aside from myself (the controller) the commentators in this track were Jeff Dean, Dave Helfrey and Bryan Cook. There’s not a lot of dead air, but we I didn’t cover as much as I thought I was going to. While the movie is somewhat of a train wreck, it is a really fun ride. Hopefully you will have as much fun listening as we had recording!
This commentary is dedicated to the memory of James Bonney, who not only was a loyal kaiju fan, but a contributor and listener to the Kaijucast.
On a journey, ill;
my dream goes wandering
over withered fields.
–Death Haiku by Matsu Basho