Mick Sheehy is a partner at PWC in Australia and head of the firm's NewLaw practice. He is a former General Counsel at Telstra where he developed and led the legal department's innovation program, which later became its legal operations and transformation function.
Mick, Alex and Elliot had a fascinating conversation focused on data and metrics for corporate legal departments. They covered:
* Why metrics are important, and why legal departments have generally been slower to adopt them than other corporate departments.
* Whether or not it is reasonable to expect lawyers to be data experts.
* What constitutes a "metric", and whether or not it must be quantifiable.
* How to decide what to measure.
* How to utilise metrics, including their value in making decisions and framing stories.
* The role of technology and standardisation in the collection and use of metrics.
* The future of NewLaw and legal operations.
Note: This interview with Mick was recorded in late 2020.
PWC New Law team: https://www.pwc.com.au/legal/newlaw-optimising-your-law-department.html