Rigorously, playfully, interrogating ideas with guest artists who work through dance, choreography, composition, performance, music and more!
Est. 2013. Please hit the subscribe button below!
"I couldn't express myself in English (i'm actually a very funny person!)... so I used my dancing"Yuiko Masukawa
Yuiko Masukawa is a Japanese choreographer and dancer based in Melbourne, Australia, working with the classical form in contemporary contexts, we cover;
* After Party - https://www.yuikomasukawa.me/after-party* study in Japan and Canada and Australia* working at Kinosaki International Arts Center * Indian and Ballet similarities* Ballet as "French Classical" dance* Minidiscs* Classical ballet in Japan being another culture* 2nd century Indian classical dance* how to know between contemporary and classical choreography* making work* running a youth dance program* collaborating with technologies
* instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yuimasukawa/* collaborations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfDpbUXK34&t=99s* working at national theatre - https://nationaltheatre.org.au/ballet/staff/* invite arts - https://hi-in.facebook.com/insitearts/posts/6986803038027929
"I'd find myself unable to not respond"Alisdair Macindoe
Alisdair Macindoe is an independent multidisciplinary choreographer living on Woi Wurrung country (Melbourne, Australia). With an interest in extending the boundaries of choreographic practice, Alisdair’s work spans dance, sound, electronics, coding and text. Recent works have seen him explore automated dance and Artificial Intelligence; new technology for music expression; trans-humanism; waste and climate change and identity in the age of narcissism. We cover..
* making choreography from words* AI vs algorithm* data stacks* collaborating with non-human entities* digital* midi and music * sound design* wombat radio as ongoing effort* social media as a faux internet* context free grammar* decision making* body intelligence* the gift of working for others* feeling like you're dancing* the payoff is in the doing
* http://alisdairmacindoe.com* Open AI* https://alisdairmacindoe.com/red* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3* https://home.unicode.org* ASCII* https://www.wired.com/2008/04/mind-decision/* https://www.thoughtco.com/malaphor-word-play-1691298
Body Space Habit – Elia Bosshard and Ira Ferris
A discussion with Ira Ferris and Elia Bosshard about their project Space Body Habit.
"I purge myself of them (thoughts) by giving them to you and now I'm free to think other things."Ira Ferris
* Space Body Habit book* public space* lineage* working at front yard* making a record of discussions in the form of a book vs making a book* archive* Space Body Habit book* TikTok performance* skin as a boundary
* Artemis Projects* Sympoiesis Radio show - instagram * Sympoiesis Radio show eastside radio 897fm* https://www.eliabosshard.com/* https://www.adsrzine.com/
"I have a problem with ...we need everything so instantly, that we're willing to compromise things that are so sacred."Emily Flannery
Emily Flannery is a proud Wiradjuri woman from Forbes in the Central West of NSW. As an emerging Indigenous dancer and choreographer Emily hopes to share her culture and her spirit through movement. We also cover;
* her upcoming Sydney Opera House show - Bulnuruwanha which explores the Wiradjuri Dreaming stories of the Magpie, Willy-WagTail, Kookaburra, Cockatoo and Platypus through contemporary Indigenous dance.* Lost All Sorts collective* Working with siblings* Tokenism* Forbes* Expectations of what indigenous should look like* Everything happening all at once* Lucy Guerin Inc internship* Training under the Craig Bary* taking feedback from industry experts who are not cultural knowledge holders* wanting to make ensemble work* good intentions without self-education* Aboriginal culture is still alive* "You can't support BLM and then blow up our sacred sites" - Emily Flannery
* march dance - https://www.marchdance.com/emily-flannery* dirty feet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/emily-flannery* dance informer - https://dancemagazine.com.au/2021/05/bangarra-appoints-new-company-dancer-emily-flannery/* Bangarra - * NAISDA - https://naisda.com.au/2020/12/17/naisda-graduate-emily-flannery-selected-as-lgis-first-nations-intern-for-2021/* PACT - http://www.pact.net.au/lost-all-sorts-collective#:~:text=Lost%20All%20Sorts%20is%20a,virtues%20as%20artists%20and%20friends.* facebook - https://www.facebook.com/emily.flannery.54* Forbes Advocate - https://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/7227346/years-of-work-pay-off-with-busy-year-of-dance-ahead-for-emily/* Coast Community News - https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2021/01/internship-for-naisda-graduate/* NORPA - https://norpa.org.au/indigenous-makers-studio/* Daniel Riley as new Artistic Director of ADT - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-06/first-indigenous-artistic-director-appointed-to-dance-company/100194208*
"This is a massive interrogation of concept."Elle Evangelista
Elle Evangelista loves dancing. She is Filipino & Burmese, was raised on Whadjuk/Perth and currently lives on Gadigal/Sydney. Elle has a Bachelor of Arts in English from UWA and a Bachelor of Arts in Dance from WAAPA. In response to the Black Lives Matter movement she enrolled in a post graduate Law course to obtain a Juris Doctor.
* Thirty30 - https://elleevangelista.com/about30thirty* Thirty31 - Set to premier in October 2021* Come Knit The Sun Down - https://supercelldancefestival.com/elle-evangelista* The GIF of Dance - http://choreography.mattcornell.com/projects/the-gif-of-dance/* Covid#19 Lockdowns/show cancellation* making attempts* "Trying again isn't starting again" - Matt Cornell* Bring brave enough to deeply invest in someone/something* Things you want to learn about* Failing as integral* Bringing snacks to share (to every rehearsal)* Expectations* "I always expect people are going to be as invested as I am" - Elle Evangelista
* March Dance - https://www.marchdance.com/elle-evangelista* insatiable - song matt mentions * instagram - https://www.instagram.com/elleevangelista* Belvoir Street Theatre choreographic commission - https://belvoir.com.au/elle-evangelista/* DirtyFeet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/elle-evangelista* Writing for Dance Informer - https://dancemagazine.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/* DAIR residency - https://www.facebook.com/ausdancensw/photos/a.1593516414266451/2545730512378365/* The King and I - the musical - https://aussietheatre.com.au/features/20-questions/getting-know-elle-evangalista* Thirty30 - https://au.royalacademyofdance.org/independent-artist-elle-evangelista-takes-up-residence-in-our-darlinghurst-studio/* Sydney Arts Guide - https://www.sydneyartsguide.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/* Dance Life - https://www.dancelife.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/
"I don't know if I want a 'main' focus."Feras Shaheen
Feras Shaheen is a Sydney based dancer/performer and choreographer. we discuss;
* making a show with your mum - https://ferasshaheen.com.au/19772986* Dabke* street dancing* working freelance* transparency when it comes to institutional agenda * Klapping - https://ferasshaheen.com.au/Klapping* humour* initiation* church* getting into installation* foundations* Palestinian heritage* Nick Power* how to say yes* getting burnt out* the problem with expectations of being "professional"* arabic poetry
* March Dance - https://www.marchdance.com/plastic-bag* Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/fezshaheen* Legs On The Wall - https://www.legsonthewall.com.au/news/2020/6/29/one-on-one-feras-shaheen* Dirtyfeet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/feras-shaheen* Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/ferasshaheen* Dance Bants - https://anchor.fm/dancebants* Campbelltown Arts Centre - https://c-a-c.com.au/dance-workshops-with-feras-shaheen/* Formidable episode 4 - https://www.form.org.au/formidables-episode-4/* the flying nun - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=819443401880064* Dance Bants interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGId8SAA93c&ab_channel=DanceBants* 1on1 interview with Legs On The Wall - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=271642193900031* linkedin - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ferasshaheen/?originalSubdomain=au* facebook - https://www.facebook.com/feras.shaheen.7
Creativity on tap
Such great conversations and an incredible growing archive of contemporary artists, their creative process, their views and opinions on life and so much more!
Always an entertaining listen.
A great way to hear about artistic practise and what people are thinking about in a more spontaneous natural way rather than reading a text or watching a video on a website.
I look forward to hearing more :)
Wombat Radio is a lovely and intimate insight into wonderful geniuses in Sydney and beyond. Caring and inspiring. Highly recommended!