Cutting through the hype, telling inspiring stories from people and organisations who are creating real change in the world with Blockchain and Exponential technologies.
Listened to in over 100 countries worldwide.
Hosted by: Anthony Day, Blockchain Partner at IBM
S2E4 Blockchain in Germany - Cars, Crypto & Contradictions
Germany is a fascinating example of how Blockchain technology can evolve and scale in unexpected ways. Driven by a mix of the cosmopolitan crypto community, engineering-focused start-ups and a national Blockchain strategy (and a few lawyers...) this is not the stereotypical German story you might be expecting. In this episode we cover:
- The diverse Blockchain community from Berlin to Bavaria
- Germany's little-know history in the emergence of Ethereum and DeFi
- The national Blockchain strategy and what it means for enterprise and government
- Deep dives into Blockchain at Daimler, The German Energy Authority and Bitwala
- The role of academia in accelerating the Blockchain talent pool and research
- The importance of the Blockchain Lawyer, and much more...
Shout to all my guests on this episode (in order of appearance): Katharina Gehra (Immutable Insight), Florian Glatz (Bundesblock), Dennis Hillemann (KPMG Law), Christoph Iwaniez (Bitwala), Philip Sandner (Frankfurt School Blockchain Centre), Sebastian Becker (Riddle & Code), Philipp Richard (DENA), Harry Behrens (Daimler), Sven Hildebrandt (DLC), Nina Siedler (DWF and INATBA), Bruce Pon (Ocean Protocol), Thomas Jarzombek (German Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy), Wolfgang Prinz (Fraunhofer Institute).
Also a special shout out to Mr. Bojangles for the fresh beats - love you cuz...
S2E3 Blockchain in Israel - The Start-up Nation with Global Appeal
We take a closer look at Israel, known by many as 'Start-up Nation'... A country famous for its production line of entrepreneurs, military-inspired tech, cryptography and most recently Blockchain. Home to over 250 global R&D centres, 6,000 tech companies and 150 Blockchain businesses, Israel has a unique recipe for success in tech - and Blockchain is no exception.
In this episode we cover:
- The rapid adoption of Blockchain in Israel from Bitcoin to ICOs to creating leading global players
- The story behind 'Start-up Nation' and why Israel's entrepreneurs are so successful
- The diversity and make-up of the Israeli Blockchain community
- Country-specific use cases around Financial Services, Trade, Identity and Healthcare
- Chutzpah: the secret, intangible ingredient behind all Israeli successes
- And a rare cameo from the legendary Aviv Lichtigstein - Founder of 101 Blockchains
Shout to the amazing guests who made this show possible: Yael Rozencwajg, Odelia Torteman, Rena Thomas, Igal Nevo, Kfir Nissan, Gabi Zodik, and Aviv Lichtigstein
S2E2 - Blockchain in Malta: The Rise and Pause of 'Blockchain Island'
In this episode we uncover the surprising ingredients behind Malta's rise as one of the 'go to' destinations for Blockchain businesses. It's a story of economics, politics, law, technology, a little bit of hype, and the critical issue of how to virtual world of protocols and digital assets co-exists with the physical world or national borders and regulation. This is one of the deepest episodes yet, and there are some fundamental Blockchain learnings in here that everyone needs to know! In this episode we cover:
- Malta's constant struggle to find it's economic niche, and how its specialty in technology and law created advantage
- The role Malta played in supporting Blockchain businesses during the emergence of Bitcoin, ICOs and virtual financial assets
- The founding of the Maltese Digital Innovation Authority (MDIA) and how it evaluates Blockchain companies against Maltese regulation
- The rush of ICOs, crypto and Blockchain businesses to Malta, and the 'thinning of the heard' since 2016
- Blockchain use cases for the island of Malta, including Financial Services, Real Estate and Social Care
- Examples of Blockchain businesses in Malta, and their experience of trying to become regulated
- The role of the Blockchain community and academia in supporting further scaling of Blockchain in Malta
- The future of Blockchain and Virtual Financial Assets, and how Malta's law and regulation may yet play a global enabling role
Shout to all the amazing guests who were part of this episode: Max Ganado, Joshua Ellul, Dave Pulis, Beata Young, Kenneth Farugia, Jonathan Galea, Sandro Psaila and Jean-Michelle Azzopardi
S2E1 - Blockchain in Brazil: A Hidden Blockchain Powerhouse
Welcome to Season 2! New theme music, more guests, and a different way of looking at Blockchain technology, culture and community through the eyes of Blockchain experts in the less-publicised nations around the world - and we're starting with Brazil. There is more Blockchain activity happening in Brazil than almost anywhere in the world, and Brazil has produced some of the most talented minds in Blockchain. Adoption of the technology is tightly linked to the strengths and deficiencies of Brazil as a nation, and it's fascinating to observe.
In this episode we cover:
- Brazil's relationship with technology, and how Brazil is a Blockchain leader despite lagging behind tech adoption in other areas
- Examples of national Blockchain use cases in Public and Private sector - from National Identity to Agri Business to Finance and Crypto Assets
- How Blockchain is spoken about in society and the press
- The make-up of Brazil's Blockchain community: Fintechs, Cypherpunks, Gov-techs and Enterprise Adopters
- The main personalities in Brazilian Blockchain, and who you should be following
- Case studies on start-ups in Agri-business and Renewable Energy, and Henkel's 'Reci-Chain' for Recycling
- What more is needed to bring Blockchain initiatives to scale in Brazil, and key learnings for other countries
Shout to my guests: Mauricio Magaldi, Rosine Kadamani, Gladstone Arantes, Tatiana Revoredo, Renato Lopes, Deborah Aguirre, Kiko Duarte, Isaque Eberhardt and Igor Ferreira
S1E23 10 [More] Things I've Learned About Blockchain - The Best of Season 1
After 22 episodes and 1 Roast, I've learned a lot more about Blockchain and DLT from those in the industry doing real work, running global platforms, and taking the technology into production. I've tried to summarise 10 new or updated observations about Blockchain in enterprise from Season 1. Some of the key topics include:
- Strategies for scaling
- Blockchain for social impact
- UX challenges with Public Blockchains
- Self-sovereign Identity
- My favourite quote from Season 1
- How to think about Token business models
- Scaling IoT and Blockchain
- How to solve problems in your sleep
Thanks to all my guests from Season 1, and thanks to all those listeners from around the world you provided feedback and ideas to help improve the series. See you all for Season 2!
S1E22 - Season 1 Finale - The Roast of Blockchain with 6 Blockchain All-stars
What do JP Morgan, Sex Workers, Squirrels, Timestamping, Space Force and 'The Power of Ethereum' have in common?... It's the Roast of Blockchain, and you're about to find out... I'm joined by Keir Finlow-Bates (inventor), Irina Heaver (lawyer), Samson Williams (start-up / space cadet), Anne T. Griffin (product manager), Marta Piekarska-Geater (Hyperledger ecosystems) and Antonio Senatore (Deloitte CTO) to talk through Blockchain's most epic fails, and also where the experts see Blockchain technology is likely to succeed.
In this roast we cover:
- Which super heros do my guests think are most like them
- Blockchain for Blockchain's sake
- Tokens for tokens' sake
- Not considering scaling and commercial models for Blockchain platforms
- How Banks turned from hate to love on Blockchain and digital assets
- KYC and Digital Identity for Sex Workers (and their customers)
- The questionable use of private timestamping
- Intermediaries using Blockchain to disintermediate themselves
- Where Blockchain will have the most positive impact in the years to come
Please take the time to check out and follow my guests, and we'll be back for Season 2: