Darlene is mom to a neurotypical adult son and an almost 13 year old daughter with FASD. She is a Registered Early Childhood Educator who teaches for a local college but has been a homeschooler for 22 years. She founded Team LOVE to support her daughter, which has become her community passion project connecting families raising a child with Fetal Alcohol.
With the recent events and closures of schools, many parents are asked to teach their children at home. The buzzword is “homeschooling”. But in fact, this is Isolation Learning, or holding Quarantine Classes or having School at Home. Darlene helps us understand:
· What homeschooling is: the pros and cons and where she finds her resources.
· Why it’s important to not get into “it has to get done mode.”
· How to create connection in our temporary normal.
· The importance of nurturing mental health and finding joy in learning.
· Defines Social Distance Selfies and what she is doing to bring Team LOVE to those isolating.
I love how she’s adapting to the new “normal” and finding ways to be creative and meet her daughter’s needs. She is definitely the real deal and gets it.
Her advice right now: “This time brings blessings. Be intentional in what you do. Find your family’s rhythm. Build your schedule with your child in mind. Be gentle with yourself and your kids.”
Get one month FREE! Good way to try it out. Just don’t forgot to opt out!
Cosmic Kids Yoga
Dance Mat Typing
Support the show (http://www.facebook.com/groups/fasdforever)