For Episode 111 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about:
A Day in the Life of a Front-end Developer from our guest Joe Casabona.
Guest Introduction – Joe CasabonaJoe Casabona is a Front End Developer, Instructor, & Course Creator.
When Joe is not writing code, he is teaching people how to build things with and for WordPress.
Episode Summary 1. Joe explains the difference between a front end and back end web developer, and how he got his start in creating websites for clients
2. From his first cup of coffee to mapping out his work day by project, Joe takes us through a day in his life which although has a structure in place, differs from day to day.
3. He drops excellent tips about planning out a day based on length of projects, and staying motivated to get the tasks done.
4. Joe counts podcasting as the best part of his day, and highlights why he enjoys it so much. Narrowing his focus in on coding specifically, he describes how much he loves solving problems with code.
5. Joe also breaks down his struggles with getting projects started, and how that can be a challenge.
6. Joe shares the best advice he never took – how it impacted his career and how working for another company helped him to set himself up for business on his own.
7. Joe goes into great detail about what a career path can look like for a web developer, and outlines his own experience as an example.
8. Joe also talks about education, certification, and the role is now plays in today’s culture.
Quotes“My first website was a paid gig”.
“It allowed me to flex my kind of creative brain but also my logical brain”.
“I knew I wanted to do something with computers”.
“It always takes a lot of mental inertia to take that first step”.
“Interviewers are less concerned with grades… they want to see what you’ve built”.
“If you can get paid to learn, that’s absolutely fantastic”.
“Know that you don’t know and always continue to learn”
LinksTo learn more about Joe Casabona, you can visit his website. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn , Twitter, Facebook, and GitHub.
Recommended ResourcesGitHub.comCodePen.ioLynda.comSkillShareUdemyHTML and CSS : Design and Build Websites (John Duckett)How I Built It Podcast by Joe Casabona
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.