In this episode Crash's own Head of Engineering, Dave Wasmer joins Isaac to talk about how he launched his career in tech.
When Dave graduated from college with a degree in economics, he wasn't sure where he wanted to go in his career. He used his self-taught programming skills to get an opportunity at a large corporation, but he soon realized that the corporate environment wasn't the place for him to flourish. He was feeling the itch to find a new opportunity, but it wasn't until a serendipitous blog post connected him with a start-up that everything fell into place.
In this episode, Dave shares the stories of how he Crashed his career and built his way to a great career in tech.
Connect with Dave at:
Discussed in this episode:
* How Dave crashed his career to get his first job in engineering for a software startup.
* How blogging an idea led to a unique job opportunity.
* Increasing your luck surface area: you can't replicate someone else's luck, but you do things that help you create your own.
* How Dave decided to take a corporate job after college and how it helped him learn that working in startups was more in line with his personality.
* The uncertainty in moving from working at a big company to a startup.
* Dave's advice for people feeling the itch to make a career change:
1) Learn out loud: Don't just consume content while you're learning. Find ways to contribute to projects.
2) Focus on people: Invest your relationships. Get to know the people you're working with. Through your career, those relationships will matter more than almost anything else.