Cool Blind Tech strives for universal design of products, environments, programmes and services to be usable by all people, to the greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design, not excluding assistive devices for particular groups of individuals with disabilities where this is needed.
The Cool Blind Tech Team endeavours in maximizing the independence, productivity and participation of the blind and low vision community, to empower the blindness community through the acquisition and
enhancement of skills in using adaptive technologies.
Reviewing the QwerkyWriter Mechanical Keyboard: A Little Qwerky, but way Better than Qwerty!
Dive into this podcast to learn about the Qwerky Writer Mechanical Keyboard, a keyboard dedicated to those who want the greatest typewriter feeling under their fingertips at all times. Thanks to arrangements done by Qwerkytoys, what's reviewed here is of the latest QwerkyWriter S model.
As you can hear, I could not be more than pleased with the design, build, and overall retro feel of this product. As you also hear, there are some some negatives, such as the right-shift key, but these to me have not detracted from using the device at all. While you can pick up another keyboard claiming a typewriter feel, I truly challenge you in these three qualities produced by the breadth of attention put in by the QwerkyWriter team.
* 4 connections at once. That includes a USB machine, and 3 over Bluetooth. At once, yes, you can have 4 devices at the same time and seamlessly switch among them. This can include a mix of mobile, desktop and gaming devices.
* Quality of build. These keys now use Cherry Blue switches, and beyond the one minor difference in my podcast, they are fully compatible with any key set you want to change it into. The customization is yours, and you get the superb clicky blue switches with a nice plating that gives it a typewriter clicking sound. I change my keys with the 104-key keycap set by Aukey to prevent the metal chrome on the original set from chipping in a non-portable situation that I'm using this keyboard in, such as my job.
* Finally, A stand which fits a Braille display. When it comes to both my Refreshabraille 18, and VarioUltra 40, this device will handle them comfortably. The Tablet stand, design to originally accommodate tablets fits Braille displays of many sizes and types. Let us know if yours also can fit in to the keyboard! I can use my displays slightly tilted with the cells towards me to read off any text as I type on the keyboard, increasing productivity. I definitely don't need a combined solution for a premium price, no sir, it's part of my keyboard.
Overall, I could not be more than satisfied with the feel of each key, as they are consistent among presses. The entire plate of this QwerkyWriter is metal, and it is noticeable in quality to keyboards I previously tested. I'm confident that this keyboard will last me for years to come, and that it is a worthwhile product for many people, thus I bring this review to you as a journalist and professional.
CBT Live! at Google I/O ’18: Accessibility for AR and VR
In this session, Google covers ways to make Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality more accessible to more users.
CBT Live! At Google I/O ’18: What’s new in Android accessibility
Learn about the latest feature additions to Android P, get an update on accessibility testing and best practices, and hear about new APIs that developers can use to create more accessible app experiences. This session will also offer a unique look into how Google conducts UX research for users with disabilities.
Are These iQ Podz the AirPods Killer?
CBT checks out these true wireless headphones with no cords and no tangles — just great audio.
Charge/Storage case allows convenient recharging — charge up to three times while on-the-
* The iQ Podz provide superb sound quality with deep bass and noise cancellation.
* Built-in microphone for taking calls on-the-go.
* IPX4 water resistance protects against splashing water such as rain and sweat.
* Includes charging/storage case, Micro USB cable and
three sizes of ear tips.
* Compatible via Bluetooth v4.1 with almost any Apple or Android device.
* Multi-connection capability allows you to connect to two devices at once.
* Rechargeable battery.
* Music playing: 3 hours.
* Calling talk time: 2-3 hours.
* Standby time: 100 hours.
* Charging storage case allows you to recharge up to 3
Spotlight with Gilles Pepin – CEO of HumanWare
In this weeks Spotlight CBT features Mr. Gilles Pepin, the CEO of HumanWare. With more than 25 years experience, Mr. Pepin has built a solid worldwide reputation in the field of assistive technology and in the arena of visual impairment.
In 1988, Mr. Pepin founded VisuAide, a successful company specialized in high technology for people who are blind or visually impaired. VisuAide merged with PDI in 2005 to form HumanWare.
For over 25 years, HumanWare's inspirational vision has resulted in a range of highly intuitive and intelligent solutions that empower people who are blind or with low vision by giving them the independence to participate effectively within a sighted world.
For more information, contact HumanWare below:
Toll free: 1-800-722-3393
Toll free: 1-888-723-7273
Tel: 1300-551-864 or 02-9686-2600
Turning On VoiceView and Setting Up Fire 7 Tablet 7th Generation
The next generation of Amazon's best-selling Fire tablet ever - now thinner, lighter, and with longer battery life and an improved display. According to Amazon, it is more durable than the latest iPad.
CBT initializes VoiceView and goes through the setup of Amazon's newest Fire 7 Tablet.
The accessibility features allows you to magnify the screen and increase the size of text in menus on your Fire tablet. You can also navigate your device using VoiceView gestures and hear spoken feedback about the items you touch and open
The Fire 7 Tablet has a 7" IPS display with higher contrast and sharper text, a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, and up to 8 hours of battery life.
8 or 16 GB of internal storage and a microSD slot for up to 256 GB of expandable storage.
Enjoy millions of Kindle eBooks, games, and apps - including Prime Video, Netflix, Facebook, Prime Music, Spotify and more.
Prime members get unlimited access to over one million songs, thousands of movies and TV episodes, and unlimited photo storage - at no additional cost.
Watch downloaded videos anywhere with a Prime membership or Netflix plan.
17.7 cm touchscreen, 1024 x 600 resolution at 171 ppi, SD video playback, with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and advanced polarizing filter
192 x 115 x 9.6 mm
295 grams (Actual size and weight may vary by configuration and manufacturing process.)
CPU & RAM
Quad-Core 1.3 GHz with 1 GB of RAM
8 GB (4.5 GB available to user) or 16 GB (11.6 GB available to user) of internal storage. Add microSD card for up to 256 GB of additional storage for even more movies, TV shows, music, photos, personal videos, and apps. (Some apps may require that they are installed on internal storage.)
Up to 8 hours of reading, surfing the web, watching video, and listening to music. Battery life will vary based on device settings, usage, and other factors such as web browsing and downloading content. Actual results may vary.
Fully charges in under 6 hours using the micro-USB power adaptor included in the box, or slightly longer with other micro-USB power adaptors that you may already have
Single-antenna dual-band Wi-Fi. Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) to connect to a PC/Macintosh computer, or to charge your device with the included power adaptor; microSD slot for external storage
3.5 mm stereo jack and integrated speaker
Content Formats Supported
Kindle (AZW), KF8, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible Enhanced format (AAX), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, M4V, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1, HE-AACv2, MKV, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, 3GP, VP8 (WEBM)
VGA front-facing camera. 2 MP rear-facing HD camera
Location-based services via Wi-Fi
External volume controls,
This is a great podcast!
Nobody does assistive tech better than CBT. This is a great podcast for the blind and low vision community!
Are you thinking of listening to Cool Blind Tech? It's a very nice podcast. I like it so much. I recommend this podcast to everyone. Especially for people who are visually impaired and want to learn about new technology.
Cool podcasts quite interesting
amazing to listen.