Budget wine gifting for The Holidays with The Wine Diva!
For 15 years Daenna van Mulligen (The Wine Diva) has created her Top 100 wines. For 15 years we’ve welcomed the audio version of her choices. All wines have been tasted and scored – www.winescores.ca Those receiving 89 points or better and under $20.00 make the list.
When I saw her 2021 list get posted – www.winediva.ca – I knew once again it was time for The Wine Diva to make her seasonal appearance on Tasting Room Radio.
Daenna is a highly respected wine judge and reviewer who tastes every day of the year. Her tasting notes are always a great read and her instincts about where wine is headed and labels to keep an eye on always find their mark.
If you go to the Wine Diva website, you’ll see a heading of WINES. Click on that and on the drop-down list click on wine lists. Just a note, there’s a link that says print up as a shopping list. I highly recommend doing this. Keep it handy for easy reference at home or when shopping and you’re facing a wall of wines.
Keep in mind when you read her rave reviews, that all wines mentioned here are under $20.00 Several are steals.
On the interview, I divided up her wines into three categories –
Roses, Reds and Whites!
The last segment of the show is Daenna taking us through her Wines of the Year.
Here are the wines we talked about
From Top 100 under $20 list…
* Jose Maria da Fonseca ‘Periquita’, Portugal $10.99
* Red Rooster Winery Sauvignon Blanc, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* Monte del Fra Bardolino DOC, Custoza, Verona Italy $16.99
* Oops ‘Voluptuous Beauty’ Cabernet Sauvignon, Central Valley Chile $15.99
* Intrigue Wines ‘I Do’ Sparkling, Okanagan Valley BC $20.00
* Medici Ermete ‘Concerto’ Lambrusco Reggiano Frizzante, Emilia-Romagna, Italy $19.99
* Undurraga ‘Sibaris’ Reserva Especial Pinot Noir, Leyda Valley Chile $17.99
* Murphy-Goode Cabernet Sauvignon, California $20.00
* Robin Ridge Gamay, Similkameen Valley BC N/A
* Bodegas Piqueras Castillo de Alamansa Reserva, Alamansa Spain $15.99
* Red Rooster Winery Cabernet~Merlot, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* Ryder Estate Pinot Noir Rose, Central Coast California $19.99
* Luccarrelli Primitivo, Puglia Italy $15.99
* Luccarrelli Negroamaro, Puglia Italy $15.99
* Errazuriz ‘Max Reserva’ Cabernet Sauvignon, Aconcagua, Chile $19.99
* Cirro Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough New Zealand $20.00
* Vina Chela Reserve Malbec, Mendoza Argentina $15.99
* Bizou + Yukon ‘Savvy~Gris’, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* Bizou + Yukon ‘Pinkie’ Rose, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* Fort Berens Estate Winery Pinot Gris, British Columbia $20.00
* Hester Creek Viognier, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* IMBZZL ‘Ruse’ Rose, Okanagan Valley, BC $19.99
* Soito Wines ‘Taleiga’ Dao Tinto, Dao Portugal $20.00
* Spearhead Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley BC $20.00
* Journey’s End ‘Bees Knees’ Chenin Blanc~Viogner, Mount Rozier, Western Cape South Africa $15.00
* Quails’ Gate Chasselas~Pinot Blanc~Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley $19.99
* Spier ‘Signature Collection’ Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch South Africa $13.99
* Bartier Bros. Rose, Okanagan Valley BC $17.99
* Lake Breeze Winery Pinot Blanc, Okanagan Valley, BC N/A
* Township 7 ‘7 Blanc’ Okanagan Valley, BC $18.00
* Sandhill Rose, Okanagan Valley BC $20.00
* Pentage Winery Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley BC N/A
* CedarCreek Estate Winery Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley BC $18.99
* Intrigue Wines Chardonnay, Okanagan Valley BC $17.