From an Olympic athlete who trained in Montreal to a hunter-gatherer in British Colombia, each Portage episode features a guest from a different province. We discuss their journey through Canada and listen to music from the region
Portage: BONUS Episode – Live Show
As part of the annual CFRC fundraising drive, Ian is joined by Duncan Raymond and John McHughan in a live show where they take a rapid-fire journey through three provinces (Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island) and the territories.
Commercial music includes:
* The Sheepdogs – Southern Dreaming
* Matt Anderson – Ain’t no Sunshine
* Stompin’ Tom Connors – The Hockey Song
* Quantum Tangle – Tiny Hands
Portage: Episode 9 – A Journey TO Canada
This week, instead of a journey through Canada I will be talking to Monisha Singh and Cristobal Poblete about their journey to Canada!
Monisha will tell us about her journey from India to Canada and Cristobal will be playing classical Chilean music on his charango!
* K’naan – Waving Flag
* Ladki Beautifyl Kar Gayi Chul – Kapoor & Sons
* Cristobal Poblete – El Condor Pasa (Live acoustic performance from Cristobal)
* Hey Rosetta! – Red Heart
Portage: Episode 8 – Kingston – Former Executive Assistant to the Mayor of Kingston
This week, I will be speaking with Geoff Coons who served for almost a decade as the Executive Assistant to the former Mayor of Kingston, Harvey Rosen. Geoff shares some of his favourite “behind the scene” stories. Should be a dandy!
* Bryan Adams – Run to you
* The Glorious Sons – Everything is Alright
* Gord Downie – Wolf’s Home
Portage: Episode 7 – Alberta – Energy in Alberta
This week we will be talking about Alberta and the energy sector (surprised?). Joining me will be Brad Gino, who worked at PCL Construction in Edmonton, Danilo Prieto who worked at Shell Global Solutions in Calgary, and Valerie Kitchell who has extensive experience in the renewable energy sector. Should be wild!
* Emerson Drive – Just got paid
* The Velveteins – Monica Louise
* Joni Mitchell – Big Yellow Taxi
Portage: Episode 6 – Manitoba – Tourism and the Franco-manitobain culture
“This week I am talking with Christine Guyot, a Franco-Manitobaine from Winnipeg who now works in Ottawa. We will be talking about the tourism industry in Manitoba and Le Festival des Voyageurs!”
* Neil Young – Old Man
* Justin Lacroix – J’entonne
* Faouzia – Knock on my door
Portage: Episode 5 – Newfoundland and Labrador – Rockers from “The Rock”
This week I am talking with Dylan Abbott and Dillon Budden, two geologists and musicians from Newfoundland and Labrador (The Rock!). We are going to talk about prospecting for gold in Newfoundland and hear some music from the b’ys. Check out Dillon Budden’s musician page below (new album coming soon!!) https://www.facebook.com/dbudden94/
* Great Big Sea – England
* Dillon Budden – Joe Batt’s Arm Longliners (Live performance from Dillon)
* Dillon Budden – 24 (original song – live performance from Dillon)
* Hey Rosetta! – Welcome