A Search and Rescue Podcast from the UK but aimed at a global audience.
This podcast is hosted by SAR team members past and present, with special guests and topics relevant to the world of SAR, mountain rescue, USAR and wilderness travel.
SARCast Episode 4
Avalanches, water rescue gear and whether search tech replaces search skills.
In the fourth episode your hosts Richard Prideaux and Ben G talk about a recent news story from Utah in the US where a group of backcountry skiers were caught in an avalanche. The discussion turns to avalanche information services and avalanches in the UK.
Luke Stonestreet joins in to discuss water rescue gear, the guys start from the head and work down, discussing helmets, lighting, baselayers, gloves and more.
Finally, Richard and Ben tackle the latest topic "Does search tech replace skills?"
- Utah avalanche: Four skiers killed after snowslide near Salt Lake City -
- Utah Avalanche Center - https://utahavalanchecenter.org/
- Scottish Avalanche Information Service - https://www.sais.gov.uk/
- Deadliest avalanche in the UK - https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Lewes-Snow-Drop-1836/
- Armadillo Merino - https://armadillomerino.com/
- Woolpower - https://woolpower.se/
- Manta helmet
- Argus TT thermal device
- HIK Lynx L15 thermal telescope
SARCast Episode 3
Instagram honeypot sites, navigational technologies and the costs of SAR.
In the third episode your hosts Richard Prideaux and Ben G talk about a recent news story from the Peak District in the UK where an unprepared group set out to find a plane wreckage in adverse weather conditions. Are social media honeypot sites increasing the number of people venturing out unprepared?
Luke Stonestreet joins in to discuss navigation technology, from different compass types to GPS devices and SAR specific software.
Finally, Richard and Ben tackle the latest topic "Should SAR teams charge for services?"
- Group rescued after travelling to Bleaklow air crash site and getting lost - https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2021/01/10/group-rescued-after-travelling-to-bleaklow-air-crash-site-and-getting-lost
- Bleaklow crash site - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleaklow_Bomber
- Treks to the wrecks - https://trekstothewrecks.co.uk/
- Ordnance Survey maps - https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
- Harvey maps - https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/
- Maskelyne (inventor of contours) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevil_Maskelyne
- Schiehallion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiehallion
- SARtopo - https://sartopo.com
- Viewranger - https://www.viewranger.com
- OSmaps - https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
- Silva type 4 (expedition) compass - https://silva.se/product/compasses/outdoor/expedition/
- Austrian Alpine club - https://aacuk.org.uk/
SARCast Episode 2
Christmas rescues, sensible children, torches/flashlights and acceptable risk.
In the second episode your hosts Richard Prideaux and Ben G address some of the feedback which has been sent via any means possible. They then turn to a couple of news items from the past month, including a successful retrieval of 2 young skiers in Canada and some interesting social media comments following a Christmas day rescue.
Then Luke Stonestreet joins in to discuss torches and illumination. We get a potted history of handheld and head mounted torches and discuss exactly how many lumens are actually useful in the realms of SAR.
Finally Richard and Ben have a face to face discussion about acceptable risk in both training and the real thing.
-Young skiers rescued
-Man wild camping on Christmas Eve rescued
SARCast Episode 1
SARCast Episode 1
Fell running, Turkish earthquake, load carrying, fitness requirements
For this short introductory episode your hosts Richard Prideaux and Ben G briefly discuss what to expect from this new podcast, how to download and subscribe to SARCast and anything else that For the first, proper, episode of SARCast Richard and Ben look through a couple of news items from the world of SAR - a missing mountain runner in Scotland and the Turkish earthquakes.
Then we bring in Luke Stonestreet, proprietor of Stonestreet SAR Store, to discuss the options for carrying equipment on your body for LANDSAR.
Finally we discuss the possibly contentious issue of mandatory fitness requirements, and inclusivity versus team performance and capability.
Mountain runner death
Stonestreet SAR Store
Helikon Tex Numbat
Caribee Mineral King
5.11 Rush 24
Arktis SAR Load vest
Hosts: Richard Prideaux, Ben G
Producer: Amy Green
SARCast is an Original Outdoor Media production.
SARCast Episode 0 - The Introduction
For this short introductory episode your hosts Richard Prideaux and Ben G briefly discuss what to expect from this new podcast, how to download and subscribe to SARCast and anything else that comes to mind.
Hosts: Richard Prideaux, Ben G
Producer: Amy Green/Original Outdoor Media