What habits have you become so comfortable with that you don’t even notice or question them? These 13 marketing quotes are amongst my all time favourites.
1. “There may be Customers without Brands, but there are no Brands without Customers.” Anon
Brands depend on customers and if companies remember this, then they can only succeed.
2. “Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating all your energies on a limited set of targets.” Nido Qubein
One of the biggest mistakes marketing can make is to not appropriately define its target audience.
3. “The more you engage with customers the clearer things become and the easier it is to determine what you should be doing.” John Russell, President, Harley-Davidson
Every employee should have regular customer connections added to their annual objectives. Customer connections inspire new thinking, can identify previously unknown issues and excite everyone to think customer first.
4. “If you use standard research methods you will have the same insights as everyone else.” David Nichols
The methods you use to observe, understand and eventually delight your customers should be moving as fast, if not even faster than the market.
5. “The structure will automatically provide the pattern for the action which follows.” Donald Curtis
Perhaps it is time for your organisation to review its structure and see if it is still optimal for the business of today, as well as of tomorrow.
6. “Customer Service shouldn’t be a department, it should be the entire company.” Tony Hsieh, CEO Zappos
Zappos have an integration program for all new hires that incorporates time at their call centre answering customer queries. What a great way to show a new person what the company is really about.
7. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.” Marcel Proust
Instead of forcing your marketing and R&D to meet certain percentage targets of new launches, why not review your current offers with the customers’ eyes?
8. “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” Jeff Bezos
As consumers become interested in knowing and adhering to the policies of the companies behind the brands they buy, it is vital to manage your image from both perspectives.
9. “The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” Chinese Proverb
Today’s customers often have more complex paths to purchase in many categories than they did in the past, so thinking of the simple awareness to loyalty funnel becomes less relevant.
10. “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” Winston Churchill
Review last year’s business results in comparison to the metrics you have been following. Were you correctly assessing the environment, the market and customer behaviour?
11. “The fear of being wrong is the prime inhibitor of the creative process.” Jean Bryant
Do you embrace entrepreneurship in your organisation? What happens when someone fails whilst trying something new? The more accepting you are of relevant trial and error, the more likely it will be that your employees will share their more creative ideas.
12. “Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information.” T S Eliot
Do you ever take decisions based on information alone? If so then perhaps you should reconsider your insight development process. It is only when you have integrated everything you know and understand about them, that you can begin to develop insight.
13. “If you can’t sum up the story in a sentence, you don’t know what you’re talking about.” Garr Reynolds
Taking the decision to share understanding in a new way through storytelling, will have a profound impact on the way your employees thin