Marc Milstein, Ph.D.: “People who have a mindful moment in the morning tend to have less burnout later in the day.”
Marc, a brain researcher and author, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss how to prevent cognitive decline, plus:
- What drives Marc’s passion for brain health (~01:03)
- How to assess your brain’s “age” (~02:19)
- Why sleep is critical for brain health (~05:53)
- What happens to the brain with too much stress (~08:15)
- The best types of exercise for your brain (~10:24)
- Why you should always take the stairs when you can (~12:28)
- The best foods for brain health (~14:09)
- How your gut-brain axis influences your food cravings (~17:42)
- Why environmental well-being is the next frontier of brain health (~20:44)
- The link between social connection & cognitive decline (~21:57)
- Marc’s 3 essential tips for optimal brain health (~23:38)
- How different parts of the brain function & change with age (~27:49)
- The impact of cannabis on brain health (~33:11)
- Underrated habits that may be messing with your brain (~37:21)
- How to sharpen your memory (~39:06)
- How to discard traumatic memories (~46:51)
- The link between depression, anxiety & dementia (~49:46)
Referenced in the episode:
- Marc's book, The Age-Proof Brain: New Strategies to Improve Memory, Protect Immunity, and Fight Off Dementia.
- A study on walking intensity.
- A study showing people who feel younger have younger brains.
- A study showing people who walk 30 minutes a day lower their risk of dementia by 60%.
- A study on taking the stairs and younger brains.
- A study on colorful diets & cognitive health.
- A study showing breathing strengthens the prefrontal cortex.
- A study on the link between anxiety & dementia.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on Youtube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.