This is The Hockey News Podcast.
Each week we’ll bring our experts together, along with special guests, to talk about all the important issues in the hockey world.
Fantasy Podcast: the Elias Pettersson Problem
This week on The Hockey News Fantasy Podcast, with senior writer Matt Larkin:
- Recommended pickups for shallow, medium and deep leagues
- Fantasy tip of the week: Take stock of your weaknesses
- Starting Lineup: Best sports movies of the 2000s
- Answering listener questions on topics such as:
(a) Should I trade Jonathan Huberdeau for Alex Ovechkin, Mikko Rantanen or David Pastrnak?
(b) How much does contract status matter when evaluating players for keeper leagues?
(c) What do you do if you're an Elias Pettersson owner?
(d) Which under-the-radar goalies have league-winning upside in the second half?
(e) Tuukka Rask's rest-of-season impact in Boston
(f) How to handle players on your roster involved in real-life trade rumors
And much more!
What Will Kent Hughes Bring as Habs GM?
This week on The Hockey News Podcast with senior writers Matt Larkin and Ryan Kennedy:
- The Montreal Canadiens name Kent Hughes GM. What will the longtime agent bring to the franchise?
- Can the Edmonton Oilers, owners of two six-game losing streaks this season, stop the bleeding? There's no doubting his talent, but is McDavid failing the sport as a role model?
- In light of Reid Boucher's shocking sexual assault guilty plea, should USA Hockey be taking more responsibility for what happened?
- The PHF more than doubles its salary cap, lifts minimum salary to $30,000 plus. Does this announcement bring us closer to a unified women's super-league?
- Predicting a landing spot for Dallas Stars defenseman and trade candidate John Klingberg
- Is Brad Marchand already a Hall of Famer?
- Listener mailbag, including: What should the Detroit Red Wings do at the trade deadline?
Which Team Will Take a Risk on Evander Kane?
- After the San Jose Sharks terminate his contract, Evander Kane hits the open market. Which teams might take a chance on him? Should any teams take a chance on him?
- Marc Bergevin gets a job with the Los Angeles Kings after less than two months of unemployment, while Logan Mailloux is reinstated with the London Knights. Why is hockey culture forgiving them so quickly?
- With NHLers no longer going to the 2022 Beijing Olympics, which team is the favorite on the men's side?
- Updating our Stanley Cup picks as 2021-22 reaches its midway point
- With 10-plus teams interested in Jakob Chychrun, which teams are the ideal fits for a trade?
- Can Hockey Diversity Alliance's new campaign make a major impact without the NHL participating as a partner?
Storytellers with Ian Pulver: Denny Lambert
Denny Lambert is a First Nations police officer with the Anishinabek Police Service and an area scout for the Sudbury Wolves. But before that, Lambert, a member of the Batchewana First Nation, Lambert played over 500 games in the NHL, boasting a hard-nosed playing style that showed he was willing to work extra hard to make his dreams come true. Denny shares some great insight and advice on the lessons he learned along the way, in his career and in life.
Reacting to the Cancellation of the World Junior Championship
Steven Ellis and Tony Ferrari break down the news of the cancellation of the World Junior Championship and what happens next.
Storytellers with Ian Pulver: Aaron Sims' Love for the Game of Hockey
Ian Pulver caught up with Aaron Sims, the radio voice of the Milwaukee Admirals, to talk about his career, the sport he loves why the city of Milwaukee is great for hockey.