On June 12, 2007, CSUMB President Dianne Harrison signed the Presidents Climate Commitment, making CSUMB a charter signatory and leader among college campuses dedicated to reducing their carbon impact and eventually becoming completely climate neutral.
Under a charge from President Harrison, the Campus Sustainability Committee is leading the effort to eliminate CSUMB's greenhouse gas emissions over time. Their work involves:
* Completing an emissions inventory
* Within two years, setting a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
* Taking immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by choosing from a list of short-term actions.
* Integrating sustainability into the curriculum and making it part of the educational experience.
* Making the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.