In 1955 Ian Fleming’s third James Bond novel Moonraker was published. Tyler and Don embark on a thorough analysis of the book. In a series of three podcasts they go through the adventure chapter by chapter, providing as much background information as they could gather.
This is Part 2 and covers chapters 8 - 17 of the book. On Tuesday Bond is sent by M. to the launching site of the Moonraker near Dover to investigate a double killing: the security officer, Major Tallon, and a German from Drax’s staff. Bond meets the creepy Krebs, the scientific Dr. Walter and the voluptuous Miss Brand. On the surface everything seems fine, but Bond’s sixth sense tells him something is amiss. Why was Tallon killed? And, more importantly, why are all the Germans bald and wearing a moustache?
Obviously, this podcast is filled with spoilers, so if you haven’t read Moonraker yet, you’ve been warned!
If you enjoy our podcast, please share it with others! You can email us at email@example.com, go to www.the00files.com or find us on social media!
- Fleming, Ian (1955). Moonraker. London: Jonathan Cape.
- Fleming, Fergus (2016). The Man With The Golden Typewriter: Ian Fleming’s James Bond Letters. London: Bloomsbury.
- Chancellor, Henry (2005). James Bond. The Man And His World. London: John Murray.
- Griswold, John (2006). Ian Fleming’s James Bond: Annotations and Chronologies for Ian Fleming’s Bond Stories. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse.
- MacIntyre, Ben (2008). For Your Eyes Only. London: Bloomsbury.
- Millard, Andre (2018). Equipping James Bond: Guns, Gadgets, and Technological Enthusiasm. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Lycett, Andrew (1996). Ian Fleming. London: Phoenix.
- Parker, Matthew (2015). Goldeneye: Where Bond was born: Ian Fleming’s Jamaica. London: Windmill Books.
- Pearson, John (1966). The Life of Ian Fleming. London: Bloomsbury.
- Rankin, Nicholas (2011). Ian Fleming’s Commandos The Story of the Legendary 30 Assault Unit. London: Faber and Faber Limited.
Websites and videos
- Culbertson Hand https://flemingsbond.com/culbertson-hand
- Inspectoscope https://flemingsbond.com/the-inspectoscope
- Philopon https://flemingsbond.com/philopon-a-japanese-murder-drug
- History of LGBT rights in the UK https://www.bl.uk/lgbtq-histories/articles/a-short-history-of-lgbt-rights-in-the-uk
- Clausewitz’s first principle https://flemingsbond.com/clausewitzs-first-principle
- South Goodwin Lightship https://flemingsbond.com/south-goodwin-lightship
- Heal’s bed https://www.nytimes.com/1978/05/25/archives/the-heals-bed-luxurious-expensive-totally-handmade.html
- Admiralty Charts https://web.archive.org/web/20050121101222/http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=45
- Galatea and Acis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acis_and_Galatea
- Galatea and Pygmalion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatea_(mythology)
- The Granville https://flemingsbond.com/the-granville-st-margarets-bay
All additional audio clips are narrated by Christopher Hunt