Hosted by Ra Page, Founder & CEO of Comma Press, a Manchester-based independent publisher specialising in the short story.
Martyn Bedford is an award-winning British novelist and literary critic. he has written five novels for adults and three for young adults. His short story collection, Letters Home, was published by Comma Press in 2017.
David Waddington is Professor of Communications and Co-Director of the Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute at Sheffield Hallam University. He continues to publish widely on the policing of public order, industrial relations in the coalfields, and the sociology of Britain's mining communities.
Craig Oldham is a British designer. He is the founder of indie press Common Practices and Creative Director of Rough Trade Books, as well as a Campaigner for the Orgreave Truth & Justice Campaign.
Published in 2017, Protest: Stories of Resistance assembled twenty authors to re-imagine key moments of British protest from the last eight centuries. Written in close consultation with historians, sociologists and eye-witnesses - who also contribute afterwords - these stories follow fictional characters caught up in real-life struggles.
1) Protest stories of resistance https://commapress.co.uk/books/protest-stories-of-resistance-1
2) Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign https://otjc.org.uk/
3) ‘The charge of the heavy bridge’ by Tristram Hunt in The Guardian, 2006 https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2006/sep/04/features5
4) ‘The scandal of Orgreave’ in The Guardian, 2017 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/18/scandal-of-orgreave-miners-strike-hillsborough-theresa-may
5) Arthur Scargill and the Battle of Saltley Gate (BBC, 2012) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-16982257
6) In Loving Memory of Work: a visual record of the UK miners’ strike 1984-85 https://www.inlovingmemoryofwork.com/
7) Thatcher government policing tactics (Telegraph, 2017) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/09/margaret-thatchers-government-feared-miners-strike-inquiry-would/
8) ‘The lies binding Hillsborough to the battle of Orgreave’ by Ken Capstick in The Guardian, 2016 https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/05/lies-bind-hillsborough-battle-orgreave
9) Bristol riots of 1831
10) 1986 Wapping dispute, The Independent, 2016 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/wapping-dispute-30-years-on-how-rupert-murdoch-changed-labour-relations-and-newspapers-forever-a6826316.html
11) ‘Orgreave families: we want full, Hillsborough-style inquiry’ The Observer, 2016 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/29/orgreave-families-hillsborough-style-inquiry
12) David Waddington’s publications archive (Sheffield Hallam) http://shura.shu.ac.uk/view/cv/d=2Ep=2Ewaddington=40shu=2Eac=2Euk.html
13) Billy Elliot (2000 film)
14) Pride (2014 film)
15) Jeremy Deller – The Battle of Orgreave http://www.jeremydeller.org/TheBattleOfOrgreave/TheBattleOfOrgreave_Video.php
16) Celebrating the unsung heroes of the miners’ strike (The Conversation) http://theconversation.com/we-are-women-we-are-strong-celebrating-the-unsung-heroines-of-the-miners-strike-92448
17) Lesley Boulton and the iconic photo of Orgreave (BBC Sheffield) http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2009/03/02/lesley_boulton_orgreave_photo_feature.shtml
18) ‘Rock on Tommy’ by Martin Jenkinson, The Guardian, 2012 (obituary) https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/jul/01/martin-jenkinson-obituary
19) ‘Brixton riots - in pictures’, The Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/brixton-riots-in-pictures-2266287.html
Produced and edited by Becca Parkinson.
Disclaimer: Please forgive some vibration/static in this recording due to some passionate fist banging on the table, also the host’s pesky cough! Also please tune in next week when we will hav