The second episode of Series 2 of the Comma Press Podcast, which this series is on the theme of FUTURES.
In this episode, Comma Publisher Ra Page is in conversation with contributors and academics about Comma's best-selling anthology, Iraq + 100: Stories from a century after the invasion, the first ever collection of science fiction from Iraq, edited by the award-winning author Hassan Blasim. Guest in this episode are Iraqi author Anoud (pseudonym), Sinead Murphy, who holds a PhD in contemporary Arab science fiction in English translation, and Annie Webster, a Wolfson PhD candidate at SOAS working on post-2003 Iraqi literature.
1. Iraq +100
2. Hassan Blasim – The Iraqi Christ
5. South Park
6. 1001 Nights
7. The Palestinian Novel by Bashir Abu-Manneh
8. BBC Two’s Civilisations – S1E1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xxsmp
9. H. G. Wells – The Shape of Things to Come
10. “If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.” – George Orwell
11. Ahmed Khaled Towfik – Utopia
12. Palestine +100
13. An interview with Saleem Haddad (Palestine +100) on OpenDemocracy https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/north-africa-west-asia/reimagining-palestine-future-interview-saleem-haddad/
14. Sinan Antoon – The Book of Collateral Damage
15. Hassan Blasim – The Corpse Exhibition (Penguin North America) https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/313242/the-corpse-exhibition-by-hassan-blasim/9780143123262
Sorry for some quiet audio in parts!
Sponsored by STORGY. Supported by Arts Council England and Manchester Metropolitan University's Digital Labs. Produced and edited by Becca Parkinson.