Zack Friedman is the author of The Lemonade Life and the founder and CEO of Make Lemonade, a leading personal finance company that empowers you to live a better financial life. Zack is a sought after speaker, writer for Forbes, and has an extremely impressive professional resume. Zack has degrees from Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, and Johns Hopkins. Zack talks to your host Travis Chappell about whether college is right for you, the number one way to improve your negotiating ability, and the biggest lesson he learned from writing his most recent book.
- Zack’s biggest takeaway from college - possibility, and opportunity.
- If you start your own business you will learn a lot of things very fast.
- The skillsets Zack had to develop after college.
- You have to understand the other person’s perspective in negotiating.
- You won’t get what you want unless the other person also gets what they want.
- How Zack copes with failures.
- Where Zack invests his own money and what investments are worth your time and attention.
- Each person has to find their own individual path.
- Zack’s career and schooling timeline from Morgan Stanley to Make Lemonade.
- How to Make Lemonade gives objective, independent advice to make simple investing decisions for the consumer.
- The ideal client for Make Lemonade is anyone who is looking to improve their financial life.
- Every person you can create value for, you will create a deep connection with.
- You have to be authentic to develop better relationships.
- The Lemonade Life Book is about living your own best life.
- In order to get success, you really have to find happiness first.
- The difference between “The Lemon Life” and “The Lemonade Life.”
- Everyone can get better every day and it all starts with happiness.
The Random Round
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone past or present and talk with them for an hour, who would it be and why?
- His grandfather
- He was an amazing man and he’d love to share his life with him.
- How do you like to consume content?
- Podcasts, Audiobooks, and Books
- Zack’s morning routine:
- Gratitude journaling
- Start the day
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- High Hopes by Panic at the Disco
- What is something you’re not very good at?
- What is one place online where we can find Zack the most?
- Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn @ZackFriedman
3 Key Points:
1. In negotiating, measure yourself with empathy.
2. Protecting your downside is even more important than focusing on your upside.
3. In order to have success, you have to find happiness first.
- “You will learn a lot more getting your hands dirty on the job than you do in a classroom.” -Zack
- “Entrepreneurship is the biggest form of meritocracy.” -Zack
- “It’s not about how many times you win, it’s about how many times you don’t lose.” -Zack
- “Before you can really do anything, you have to know yourself otherwise you’ll follow the herd” -Zack
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university.
- Get Travis’ free mastermind course at freemmcourse.com/enroll
- Get Travis free course at travischappell.com/hero
- Join the Explode test group at TravisChappell.com/explode
- Book Recommendation: Principles by Ray Dalio
- Share stories with your loved ones using StoryWorth by visiting storyworth.com/travis or using the code TRAVIS at checkout for $20 off.
- Get your first audiobook and two Audible originals FREE at audible.com/network or text NETWORK to 500-500.
- Pick up a presale copy of The Lemonade L