Call in the Night Boys is a new podcast where friends and guests introduce each other to something they love. That something could be music, or books, or films, or ideas. Maybe animals. It could go well. It could end in senseless violence.
Life in the Middle Lane - Redux
It’s Easter. A time of rebirth and renewal. A time to dig out those old sound clips that you previously considered unworthy of broadcast and to attempt to give them new life.
In this re-edited version of our bumper episode on car culture, Nick and Gavin once again discuss cars, magazines, films and advertisements that evoke the spirit of driving and car ownership.
In this version, we ask:
- Why can’t either of us say ‘patented’?
- Who is more drunk (in the studio, not in the car) – Nick or Gavin?
- Will Gavin get shot down for the manner in which he attempts to praise Bertha Benz? (Answer: almost certainly)
- Did we ‘enjoy MG’ a little too much?
- Which is the worst car advert (indeed, the worst ad) ever? (Nick says, ‘Seat – Because them…us’)
- What’s that buzzing noise? (Answer: Nick’s laptop fan)
- Are John and Ian with us, and will we get the backing?
- Would you want your car delivered by Kowalski and have you gathered that he drives very fast?
- Is ‘Weekend’ about the hell of consumer culture or the sexiness of sitting on eggs?
- Is greed good, and will all have our own trains in the future?
- Is Nick’s new car more boring than a Honda Jazz? At least it’s not a Nissan Note….
Episode 10 - Dissecting a frog
"Explaning a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but it dies in the process" - E.B White.
In our new podcast we take a scalpel to stand-up comedy and ruin it for everyone in the process.
Why do we feel conflicted about stand-up comedy?
Includes discussion of:
Curb Your Enthusiasm!
A passing mention of Roisin Conaty, Sarah Milican and Sara Pascoe!
Episode 9 - 2020 Feelgood Special!
Why not listen to our latest podcast on feelgood films while basting your turkey and knocking back too much sherry?
We discuss three feelgood movies each that, if you go on to watch them, will make the end of 2020 feel better.
We also look at:
What makes a feelgood movie?
Do all feelgood movies make you feelgood?
Or do they make you feel bad?
Why Commando is one of the greatest movies ever.
What do sandwiches symbolise in Hollywood?
Who is Dave?
What are Goonies?
Where is Chunk?
Episode 8 - Kicking against the hits
In our new episode, we discuss 10 cover versions that we love, from Shirley Bassey to The Slits. We also look at the phenomena of cover versions performed for TV commercials and internet 'shredding' of original songs.
We've also created a YouTube playlist of our 10 cover versions, so you can enjoy them without us babbling over the top. Enjoy!
Go to: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHb3mc1D2z957rzVeHcejHzEeBkHnKXKz
Episode 7 - It's good, but it's not right
In this episode Gav, Matt and Nick discuss enjoyment, youthful enthusiasms, and guilty pleasures.
We introduce each other to music, books and movies that we still love or like but are perhaps a little outdated or embarrassing even at the time of their release.
Back to the Future!
Fantasy fiction and fantasy movies!
Fields of the Nephilim!
Episode 6 - Covid-19 Special!
For our special coronavirus episode our friend Matt joins us from a mysterious location in China!
He tells us what life was life during lockdown in a Chinese city.
We discuss how governments in Britain and China have coped with the virus.
'They said what now?' - A corona quiz.
We wonder how the virus has changed the world of advertising.
Matt introduces the world to a new product that's perfect for lockdown: Friendship Suits.
Will the world return to normal after the pandemic - and should it?
A call well worth answering
Like eavesdropping on a couple of interesting, amusing friends having a freewheeling (episode 3 pun intended) chat about the high and low culture that has enriched their lives.