Cloudspotting is a podcast about cloud computing and technology hosted by Alex Galbraith and Saikumar Ayer from Rackspace Technology. Keep up with the cloud with Cloudspotting - episodes available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and other podcatchers.
Episode 29: Women in Tech: Creating stronger female networks
If you believe in equal opportunities, then we have a long way to go in IT. Creating stronger female networks is one way forward. In a special #WomenInTech Cloudspotting episode, Sai and Alex are joined by four members of the Professional Organization of Women Empowerment at Rackspace Technology (POWER).
• Rackspace Technology POWER Podcasts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXK8KWNgW1Msvv2LcWVp7xGgjJeSev45g
• Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13588356-daring-greatly
• How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen by Joanna Faber and Julie King https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29430725-how-to-talk-so-little-kids-will-listen
• How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish, Kimberly Ann Coe https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/769016.How_to_Talk_So_Kids_Will_Listen_Listen_So_Kids_Will_Talk
• Little Girls Can Be Mean: Four Steps to Bully-proof Girls in the Early Grades by Michelle Anthony, Reyna Lindert https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7607611-little-girls-can-be-mean
• Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling, Ola Rosling, Anna Rosling Rönnlund https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34890015-factfulness
• Corporates Are from Mars, Charities Are from Venus. By Kay Allen with Tanja Rasmussen https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15939995-corporates-are-from-mars-charities-are-from-venus-kay-allen-with-tanja
Special Guests: Danielle Rudden, Gavin Bounds, Jo Glass, and Vanessa Thompson.
28: Going digging down the data goldmine
Your business is sitting on an untapped data goldmine. But how do you transform your organization into a mining machine? In the latest episode of Cloudspotting, three data experts join podcast hosts Alex and Sai to break down the complex topic of utilizing data in your organization.
Recommended read - The Unicorn Project by Gene Kim https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/44333183-the-unicorn-project
Recommended read - Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and Tensorflow by Aurélien Géron https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/40363665-hands-on-machine-learning-with-scikit-learn-keras-and-tensorflow
Recommended read - The Rack We Built: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of Creating Company Culture by Lorenzo Gómez https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55681761-the-rack-we-built
Special Guests: Ben Morgan-Smith, Mark McQuade, and Nirmal Ranganathan.
27: It’s Black Friday every day as ecommerce booms
The surge in demand for online goods and services means that many companies are now experiencing Black Friday numbers on their websites every day. Cloudspotting hosts Alex and Sai are joined Wesley Lomax, Larry Hau and Will Parsons, to discuss the ecommerce boom from a technology perspective.
Our first pod on ecommerce (and first ever pod!) featuring Will Parsons https://cloudspotting.fireside.fm/1
Podcast about SRE/CRE https://cloudspotting.fireside.fm/11
Recommended read - Winning Is Not Enough by Jackie Stewart https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2331618.Winning_Is_Not_Enough
Recommended read - Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Handbook: How SRE implements DevOps by Stephen Fleming https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42934361-site-reliability-engineering-sre-handbook
Recommended read - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/397483.The_Devil_in_the_White_City
Recommended read - Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers
Special Guests: Larry Hau, Wesley Lomax, and Will Parsons.
26: Being authentic and building trust in the machine age
Authenticity enables us to build trust and lays the foundation for quality relationships in the working world. In the latest Cloudspotting episode, Diane Dowdell, Professor of Marketing and Management at St. Mary's University, joins the Cloudspotting team to discuss authenticity and building trust in the machine age.
Podcast on continuous improvement with Matt Stoyka https://cloudspotting.fireside.fm/17
Recommended read - Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26329.Emotional_Intelligence
Recommended read - The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23316526-the-second-machine-age
25: A day in the life of a Solutions Architect
Solution Architects (SAs) play an major role in solving the most complex modern business challenges. In this episode of Cloudspotting, find out what it means to be a SA, what makes them tick and what attracts them to extremely complex business challenges.
S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move On) by Paul McGee https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/205541.SUMOShutUpMoveOn
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Building Microservices by Sam Newman
Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou
Special Guests: Markus Schmid and Simon Roberts.
24: The future is even more cloudy after COVID
Our podcast hosts Alex and Sai are joined by Jeff DeVerter, Rackspace CTO and host of Cloud Talk, to discuss how the current pandemic has been a catalyst for more cloud adoption and usage. The IT enthusiasts look back and imagine how we would have coped with the current situation even 20 years ago. Listeners are then brought up to the modern day where cloud technology is helping us share vital information, stay connected with friends and family, and adopt a new way of working from home. The conversation then looks to the future and why it's going to be even more cloudy, after a necessity-driven shift from IaaS to SaaS.