Crunching the numbers. Judging the songs. Crunching our teeth. Judging each other.
2021 - Mira's Final Ranking
In which we talk about all 39 songs in this year's Eurovision Song Contest before this year's Eurovision Song Contest.
• We've collected (most of) the songs we brought up on the podcast on this playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/50jfkKLq1j3Fa6CPlzJAif?si=ce8955bdfe2f419a
2021 - Any% Playlist Speedrun
In this episode, we talk about plagiarism, nationalism, colonialism and various other isms. Mira makes fun of someone for crying, and then immediately starts crying herself.
With "Follow the Tour Guide" as our final theme, we discuss Poland's "The Ride", North Macedonia's "Here I Stand", and finally, the Netherlands' host entry "Birth of a New Age".
- “Man Made Object” by Lemon Demon > https://open.spotify.com/track/1151Q8Aev8vtz6UfuaBhAy?si=3d3cff7eca5e4064
- “Behind the Mask” by Greg Phillinganes > https://open.spotify.com/track/4o8XzmImSecpzR8bYpv9EQ?si=ffc6bd58c5844c74
- “Ik zou je het liefste in een doosje willen doen” uit Pension Hommeles (1959) > https://youtu.be/iKcbkv51baU
- “F.U.B.U” by Solange > https://open.spotify.com/track/2aR6SYRJxy2QsBxA459ATF?si=a6cede35b21448c1
- “The Eurovision Microaggression Contest”, article by Oliver Lewis on ESCXTRA > https://escxtra.com/2021/03/09/the-eurovision-microaggression-contest/
2021 - Long Term Lovers
In this episode, we talk about easy recipes to make, the Neverending Story, and each other. Throughout the episode, Jeroen destroys every single segue that he sets up for himself.
With “Long Term Lovers” as our theme, we discuss Georgia’s “You”, Spain's "Voy a quedarme", Estonia's "The Lucky One" and Iceland's "10 Years".
• “Sea of Love” by Cat Power > https://open.spotify.com/track/33kKcOJoyNduHwXhEnga8X?si=f9df0c80782e41fa
• “True Love Will Find You In The End” by Daniel Johnston > https://open.spotify.com/track/2O80Iudb4tigOCW0gWfOzn?si=f8251237f9fb4288
• “Everyday is a Miracle” by David Byrne > https://open.spotify.com/track/3wJntnNv3MvBmXsLj7lWFA?si=6d83fef0e15349b8
• “Liefde is een Kaartspel” (Belgium 1996) by Lisa Del Bo > https://youtu.be/k8kBftYXzJA
2021 - But Your Aunt Is Having A Great Time
CW: self-harm/suicide (intermittently between 31:45-46:00)
In this episode, we talk about staging ideas, we swivel rapidly, and Mira lusts after a contestant. Uncontrollably.
With “Throwback Thursday” as our theme, we discuss Greece’s “Last Dance”, Finland’s “Dark Side” and Denmark’s “Øve os på hinanden”.
Recommendations & references:
* “This Is Telex” by Telex > https://open.spotify.com/album/1Y3hXzx16dVRmMhz8lTwME
* “Left Outside Alone (Anastacia Cover)” by Blind Channel > https://youtu.be/o44fSc2f2Ms
* “Last Resort” by Papa Roach > https://youtu.be/20jvV-BPNSk
2021 - Name a Woman
In this episode, we celebrate women, history, and a birthday.
With “It’s like… woman, you know, like… Woman!” as our theme, we discuss Australia’s “Technicolour”, Azerbaijan’s “Mata Hari” and Russia’s “Russian Woman”.
• “Class of 2013” by Mitski > https://youtu.be/4y0O7gAQEFU
• “Drunk Walk Home” by Mitski > https://youtu.be/5F_k5uBnYGo
• Billy on the Street: Lightning Round > https://youtu.be/bzDlS6JPUtE
• “Agora” (2009), starring Rachel Weisz as Hypatia
• “How Sad, How Lonely” by Connie Converse > https://open.spotify.com/album/7c0VXTY2sA5f1yMaPxQqRE
- “Crucified” by Army of Lovers > https://youtu.be/di18hTFTwIw
2021 - The Moon Is Growing!
In this episode, we hold a candlelight vigil for Jim Steinman, talk about the politics of our neighborhood dog park, and, at long last: with the help of our personal trauma, we figure out a way to solve music.
With “(blank) is (blank)” as our theme, we discuss Latvia’s “The Moon is Rising”, Portugal’s “Love Is On My Side” and Bulgaria’s “Growing Up Is Getting Old”.
- “You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth” by Meat Loaf > https://youtu.be/_wO8toxinoc
Great perspective by Eurovision and non Eurovision fans
Real funny guys giving witty and incisive commentary on the tracks for Eurovision.
Listened to them last year and was really happy to see them back this year.
These guys are like ‘two silly boats in the sea’
The female presenter is super super annoying to totally excruciating and not funny at all. She is so loud and completely in love with the sound of her own voice.
Even if I agree with some of her thoughts on songs, she is vicious in her reviews without any constructive criticism. At least the guy comes across a little more diplomatic. Like they say on RDR roasts; there is funny and then there is cruel.
Sorry for the bad review but if this aforementioned presenter is so readily able to dish the dirt, she can certainly just as easily take it on board.
My favourite podcast?
So much love for this podcast and you guys! Eurovision season is always a riot, but you guys make it even better with your commentary and discussions. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself when the contest ends...perhaps an episode after the final to reflect on the results is in order? Anyways, y'all are great so keep it up!