Calvin Betton has the life that would be the envy of many. He travels Europe coaching and helping young tennis players to strive to break into the professional ranks. It's a tough life but somebody's got to do it...right? Not necessarily...
In this episode we get an inside picture of the life of a tennis coach working at the cliff edge of the talent space...the key transition zone from promising junior to top level adult. In the episode we cover...
- The big gap in coach education that meant that skill acquisition was only covered at level 5!
- The questions he asked a tennis legend about the advice he was giving to aspiring players to use drills to become better tennis players
- Why people don't understand what good coaching looks like
- How he creates intensity using 'pressure training'
- His innovative method of giving feedback called 'bandwidth feedback'
- His approach to 'challenge point theory' called 'training on the edge'
There is a wealth of insight in here that we were able to benefit from because of a rainstorm in Greece!