"Those who look for the road don't get lost" is an old Finnish proverb. Having worked in different regions including South Africa, USA, Qatar and Scandinavia Jyri Nieminen has used football as a vehicle to lean into different cultures, unpacking another layer of himself each time in the process. Jyri's holistic view of the world has informed his views of the game and the goalkeeping position within it. Now responsible as head of goalkeeping for New York Red Bulls Jyri takes us through this unique and specialist position.
Listen to find out more including;
- Turning back on playing for a coaching career.
- A deep period of introspection in Buenos Aries.
- Acclimatizing into different cultures.
- Keeping identity in the work.
- Where Jyri sees the goalkeeping position evolving?
00:00 - 03:55 - Intro
03:56 - 09:56 - Curiosity
09:57 - 17:58 - Acclimatization
17:59 - 25:54 - Coaching
25:55 - 31:37 - Modern Game
31:38 - 37:46 - Evolution
37:47 - 46:47 - Growth
46:48 - 48:45 - Advice