The Next 100 Days Podcast is a leading UK business show. Through this podcast, Kevin and Graham reveal strategies you can use to improve your business and take it to the next level. In addition to featuring their own advice, Kevin and Graham host amazing guests from across the business world. Often the guests are successful, but lesser-known business owners and entrepreneurs, enabling the show to bring fresh content and stand out from many of the US based business shows.
Graham and Kevin believe that business change comes about when a business owner focusses on just one thing that will make a real difference to his business. That might be product development, a new product launch or a marketing campaign. Focussing for less than 100 days, or focussing on too many things generally won't deliver the results you need, Equally, its difficult to maintain effective focus for much longer than 100 days without re-assessing priorities.
The Next 100 Days Podcast is your source to learn how to move your business forward, with practical advice and guidance that you can put into action and make a difference in your own organisation within the next 100 days.
#402 Writefully with Neil Sheth
Neil Sheth is the founder and CEO of Writefully and is this week's guest on The Next 100 Days Podcast. His business helps thought leaders with well-constructed words that make their content and strategy pop.
Summary of the Podcast
* Neil discussed his struggles with launching a business and the challenges of finding a marketing agency that understood his specific needs.
* Eventually Neil built his own marketing skills and launched an SEO agency.
* Later this evolved into Writefully, a company focused on helping businesses with positioning, messaging, and crafting a though-leadership voice.
* Graham, Neil, and Kevin discussed the importance of effectively communicating ideas and turning technical abilities into digestible content.
* They also touched on the topic of thought leadership and the need to craft clear positioning and messaging to establish a strong brand presence.
* Neil, Graham, and Kevin discussed the importance of tone of voice in communication and the need to simplify language for effective communication.
* They also mentioned using tools like Grammarly for writing assistance and keyword research tools for SEO content.
* Graham, Neil, and Kevin discussed Writefully's use of various tools like Grammarly, SEMrush, and copyscape for content creation and editing.
* They also mentioned the importance of understanding the audience's needs and validating new products or services.
Capture Your Thoughts
* Graham and Neil discussed the idea of using an app to generate written content based on spoken thoughts and ideas quickly.
* Neil planned to have the app create a first draft, which a human team could then edit to refine the message and ensure quality.
* It is important to capture clients' unstructured thoughts to create more comprehensive briefs.
* They also emphasised the need for efficiency in the content creation process and the value of learning from past mistakes.
* Not least the challenge of creating diverse content and the potential solution of involving people from different cultures and perspectives.
* They also debated the idea of narrowing down the target audience to a specific vertical to avoid being too generic.
Ask Clever Questions
* Neil and Graham discussed the challenges of turning unstructured thoughts into structured ones.
* In particular, the importance of asking clever questions to extract valuable insights.
* They also talked about the need to find early adopters and have conversations to gain traction for their tech startup.
* Neil, Graham, and Kevin had a conversation about Neil's app and its potential impact.
* They discussed the benefits of the app, the need for immediate access to ideas, and the value of deep conversations in solving problems.
Clips from the Podcast
An Off the Cuff Introduction
Sometimes Marketing Agencies Just Don't Get It!
Elixir - a guaranteed potion to induce love!
#401 – Church of Scotland and Business with Rev Donald McCorkindale
Church of Scotland
The Reverend Donald McCorkindale is Minister of Ardour and Kingairloch, linked with Morvern, linked with Strontian and Presbytery Clerk in Lochaber, all within the Church of Scotland. Kevin and Graham really liked Reverend Donald. He was willing to engage even in a thought-provoking conversation. You might not agree with the variety of views expressed, but do listen, as it is rare that the clergy get involved in business podcasts. A first for The Next 100 Days, a first that's taken about eight years!
Summary of Podcast
* Graham, Kevin, and Rev Donald had a conversation about their upcoming podcast episode.
* Graham's maternal Grandmother lived in Anniesland barely 2 miles from the School Donald went to.
Declining Church Congregations
* Donald says the sense of community is stronger in rural communities.
* There are real challenges of the declining church community.
* The church needs to break down the walls to allow more people to come in.
* We discussed glimpses of hope and growth in new initiatives.
* Kevin, Graham, and Rev Donald discussed the challenges faced by churches in rural areas, the need for marketing strategies to attract more people.
* We also talked about the impact of COVID-19 on worshipping practices and the importance of word-of-mouth marketing in reaching out to potential churchgoers.
* Graham, Kevin, and Rev discussed the need for the church to adapt to the changing times.
* That could mean engaging with people through social media and personal encounters.
* They recognised the importance of being clear and bold in sharing the message of faith.
* This can help them create meaningful connections with individuals.
Does Progressive Mean You are Soft?
* Graham, Donald, and Kevin discussed the challenges of the church in engaging with the changing society and attracting a wider audience.
* They explored the importance of being clear about their beliefs while also being accepting and welcoming to all individuals.
* Kevin, Graham, and Donald engaged in a thought-provoking conversation about the role of the church in guiding people and promoting wellness.
* They discussed topics such as the National Health Service, mindfulness, gender, and the importance of curiosity and open conversations.
Clips of the Podcast
A Real Sense of Community
Has the Church of Scotland Created Walls Around its Community?
Donald was Convener of The General Assembly
Testimonial from the Reverend Donald McCorkindale from the Church of Scotland
Walk the Parish
#400 – Jason Van Orden – Strategy for Coaches & Consultants
Strategy for Coaches
Jason Van Orden provides strategy for coaches and consultants. He is also the reason why Kevin Appleby and Graham Arrowsmith decided to start The Next 100 Days Podcast. He is our very special guest for the 400th episode of The Next 100 Days Podcast.
Summary of Podcast
What Jason is Doing Now
* Jason's current focus is to provide strategy to coaches and consultants.
* This helps them unlock their next level of income and impact by shifting their business models and creating one-to-many offers.
Narrow Your Audience
* Jason and Graham discuss the importance of narrowing down their ideal client base.
* This helps to focus on delivering specific outcomes in order to increase coaches and consultant capacity to provide value.
* But, there is resistance to this mindset shift.
* That's where Jason steps in. With effective marketing systems to attract the right clients.
* They also mention the importance of customer discovery and developing a signature process to guide clients towards their goals.
* Jason and Graham discussed the benefits of formalising a signature process for their businesses, which would allow them to brand themselves and attract more clients.
* They also addressed concerns about potential competition among clients.
* A supportive group dynamic can actually enhance the learning experience and provide validation for everyone involved.
Different Models of Business
* Graham, Jason, and Kevin discussed different models of business and the benefits of bringing people together in groups or cohorts.
* Jason shared his approach of combining various models to create a customised offer.
* He teaches his clients how to replicate and adapt the model for their own businesses.
Internet Business Mastery
* Jason shares his transition from running Internet Business Mastery to teaching and supporting people in a more interactive and connected way.
* Despite the success and audience of Internet Business Mastery, Jason made the decision to walk away from it.
* This decision was made so he could pursue new challenges and avoid the noise and exaggerated claims of the online business market.
Leveraging Your Unique Abilities
* Graham and Jason discussed the importance of identifying and leveraging one's unique abilities and approach in order to stand out in their respective fields.
* They discussed narrowing down and owning a specific space or expertise to attract clients and provide exceptional value.
Done for you OR Done with you?
* Jason, Graham, and Kevin discussed different business models and strategies, including the "done for you" and "done with you" approaches.
* They also talked about the importance of remarkability and finding unique solutions to help clients overcome past failures and move forward.
* Jason, Graham, and Kevin discussed the concept of the Remarkability Factor and how it can help people overcome their ingrained beliefs and find a different approach to achieve their goals.
For More on Jason's Remarkability Factor - go here: https://jasonvanorden.com/remarkability-factor/
Clips of the Podcast
Serve Many or the Few?
Mindset Strategy for Coaches
#399 Marc Howell – Island Pellet Stoves
Island Pellet Stoves
Marc Howell is the founder of Island Pellet Stoves. If you live in an off-gas property, you may be considering a pellet stove for heating your home.
Summary of Podcast
Island Pellet Stoves, Origins and Challenges
* Marc, Kevin, and Graham talked about Marc's sustainable energy company, Island Pellet Stoves.
* They discussed the following:
* challenges they faced in finding suitable pellet stoves
* availability of pelletised wood fuel in the UK
* start of Marc's business journey in 2010.
* Marc's big contribution was to create a small black box pellet stove that would fit into small British fireplaces.
Advantages of Pellet Stoves versus Log Burning Stoves
* They also talked about the advantages of pellet stoves over traditional log burners,
* and lower cost per kilowatt hour.
How Pellets are Made
* Marc, Graham, and Kevin discussed the process of making wood pellets from sawdust as a sustainable alternative for heating homes.
* They also mentioned the availability of different grades of pellets.
Heat the Whole House
* Marc discussed the possibility of using a stove to heat an entire house to replace an oil boiler.
* There are benefits of installing a boiler stove with a hot water tank to provide a decent flow of hot water for showers.
More Benefits of Stoves
* They also talked about the simplicity of adding pellets to the boiler. and the importance of flame quality and low noise levels in stove designs.
* Graham, Marc, and Kevin discussed the benefits of watching a flame, the evolutionary connection to fire, and the feedback from clients regarding their dogs' reactions to the flame.
* They also talked about the smokeless feature of the stove and how it resolved a client's issue with smoke in a residential area.
DEFRA Regulate Smoke Control
* In the conversation, Marc explains that the UK Department of Environment and Food and Rural Affairs regulates the smoke control area regulations and approves appliances for use in these areas.
* He also mentions that their range of stoves is currently the only one approved for use in smoke control areas, which covers a significant portion of the UK population.
What Makes Pellet Stoves Attractive to Consumers?
* Marc, Graham, and Kevin discussed various factors that make Pellet stoves appealing:
* flame quality,
* carbon neutrality.
* They also highlighted the uniqueness of the balanced flue design used in the stoves, which allows for shorter chimney heights and eliminates the need for a traditional chimney in certain circumstances.
Marc Howell - at Play!
* He has an interest in stone circles and his pastime of exploring them.
Clips from the Podcast
Tell Us More About Island Pellet Stoves
Fits into the British Fireplace
#398 Compelling Sales Conversations with Anja Rogan Pirc
Compelling Sales Conversations
Anja Rogan Pirc rejoins The Next 100 Days Podcast to continue the conversation about compelling sales conversations that we had on her first appearance.
Podcast Summary - Compelling Sales Conversations
The Essence of Compelling Sales Conversations
* Anja, Kevin, and Graham had a conversation about Anja's approach to helping people find solutions to their problems.
* She explained how it is important to genuinely serve and assist others rather than forcefully convince them.
A Changing World of Compelling Sales Conversations
* Graham, Anja, and Kevin discussed the importance of personal, authentic sales conversations in a world where consumers have more information and are more discerning.
* They concluded that as long as there are people, there will always be a need for human touch and support in sales.
* AI cannot replicate the personal connection and individualised guidance.
Create Your Own Economy
* Kevin, Anja, and Graham discussed the importance of taking control of one's life and creating their economy.
* They also emphasised the significance of developing people skills as the most critical skill for business success.
Kevin, The Salesman
* Graham and Kevin discussed their views on sales and their roles in the past.
* Anja encouraged Kevin to see himself as a skilled salesperson who listens and understands customers' needs rather than just focusing on meeting quotas.
* Anja discussed her journey in overcoming the perception of being a salesperson and finding inspiration from genuine individuals in the network marketing industry.
* Graham acknowledged the importance of helping others make decisions and mentioned his experience assisting clients.
* Everyone has the potential to be a salesperson in some capacity.
Build Good Relationships
* Kevin, Graham, and Anja discussed the importance of sales in every business and how everyone, including support staff, plays a role in sales.
* They also emphasised the significance of building good customer relationships for retention.
* You need to be open and curious to learn and improve in sales.
Clips from the Podcast
How Does Anja Help People?
Her Clients Have Something to Offer - Be of Service
How Can I Create My Own Economy
But, It's Easy For You!
Anja - Friend of the Show That We Couldn't Say No To!
Testimonial from Anja Rogan Pirc
#397 Hire Better People Faster with Ryan Englin
Hire Better People
Ryan Englin joins Kevin Appleby and Graham Arrowsmith to discuss how to hire better people. His business is Corematters, and he hails from Nashville.
Summary of the Podcast
Background to Hire Better People Faster
* Kevin, Ryan, and Graham talked about Ryan's book and his process for helping entrepreneurs recruit people into their businesses.
* They also discussed the pronunciation of Ryan's surname and had a friendly banter throughout the conversation.
* Ryan, Graham, and Kevin discussed how Ryan's business, Core Matters, helps struggling entrepreneurs and teams attract and hire great people by applying marketing strategies to the recruitment process.
Why Do People Switch Jobs?
* Understanding why people switch jobs was discussed. Culture!
* Creating a positive team culture to attract the right candidates.
Be a Buyer When Recruiting
* Graham, Ryan, and Kevin discussed the importance of building successful teams and the need for employers to approach interviews as a buying process rather than a selling process.
* They emphasised the significance of focusing on culture fit and behaviour rather than just skills when evaluating candidates.
Interview in a Natural Environment for the Role
* Interview candidates in their natural environment to assess their behaviour and fit within the company culture.
* Observe how candidates think, take care of tools, and handle challenges rather than solely focusing on technical skills.
* Ryan discussed how smaller companies focused on being intentional about their culture rather than trying to change it.
* He also explained that traditional staffing agencies and recruiters often fail to understand the importance of culture in attracting and retaining good people.
The New Book "Hire Better People Faster"
* Ryan and Graham discussed Ryan's book "Higher Better People Faster" (get the book here: https://www.hirebetterpeoplefaster.com ), which outlines their core fit hiring system and how to implement it effectively.
* They also talked about the importance of employee referral programs.
* Create a successful one without offering monetary rewards.
* Graham, Ryan, and Kevin discussed the challenges of recruiting employees and the importance of effective communication in attracting the right candidates.
* They also emphasised the need for marketing campaigns and training programs to address the future workforce needs in industries like trades.
* Ryan, Graham, and Kevin discussed their motivations for writing a book to help entrepreneurs achieve their goals and build effective teams.
* Ryan was a beat tester for Fathom.
* They also talked about their positive experiences with Fathom, a tool that helps with note-taking and creating podcast summaries.
* Ryan, Graham, and Kevin discussed the potential of AI in automating tasks and content ideation for marketing materials.
* They also mentioned the importance of focusing on the people side of the business and the positive experience of being on the podcast.
* Graham, Ryan, and Kevin discussed the importance of hiring the right people and its impact on a business.
* They also mentioned Ryan's upcoming book, "Hire Better People Faster," which provides insights and strategies for effective recruiting.
Clips from the Podcast
How The Process Was Born
Great content and presenters
I love the content of these podcasts. I also love the discussions, the questioning and banter between the hosts and their guests.
Warm, genuine, engaging and valuable insights.
Thanks Graham & Kevin.
Great business advice
I love the format of this podcast. It’s really useful to go from knowledge to application through a 100 days plan. Looking forward to learn from all the experts.
As a business owner I get a lot out of this pocast and they have high quality guests!