Tawaifs played a unique role in Indian society and culture in the 19th century, but have since been either vilified or romanticized. Filmmaker and author Saba Dewan joins Amit Varma in episode 174 of The Seen and the Unseen to talk about the fascinating human stories behind this lost community.
Also check out:
1. Tawaifnama -- Saba Dewan
2. The Other Song -- Saba Dewan
3. Films, Feminism, Paromita -- Episode 155 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Paromita Vohra)
4. The History of Desire in India -- Episode 161 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Madhavi Menon)
5. Women in Indian History -- Episode 144 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ira Mukhoty)
6. The Gita Press and Hindu Nationalism -- Episode 139 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Akshaya Mukul)
The Seen and the Unseen is a labour of love. Click here to support it.