India suffers from a predatory state, and nothing illustrates this better than the sorry state of our street vendors. Prashant Narang joins Amit Varma in episode 179 of The Seen and the Unseen to elaborate on this unseen tragedy of the streets around us.
Also check out:
1. Street Vendor Act 2014: Progress Report -- 2017, 2018-19, 2020.
2. Do Street Vendors Have a Right to the City? -- Prashant Narang & Vidushi Sabharwal.
3. The Ease of Doing Business on the Streets of India -- Bhuvana Anand, Prashant Narang, Riktika Shah, Vidushi Sabharwal.
4. Suboptimal vendor enumeration practices in Gurugram -- Prashant Narang & Vidushi Sabharwal.
5. Enumerating Street Vendors in Mumbai -- Prashant Narang.
6. Street Vendors Act 2014: Allocating Certificates of Vending -- Prashant Narang & Bhuvana Anand.
7. Vendors Need Ease of Doing Business to Become Atmanirbhar -- Bhuvana Anand, Jayana Bedi & Prashant Narang.
8. Modi govt will count hawkers in job data but must improve their Ease of Doing Business too -- Prashant Narang and Jayana Bedi.
9. Third Wheel -- A documentary on auto-rickshaws.
10. Manushi Sangathan v GNCT of Delhi -- Judgement on cycle rickshaw pullers.
11. Time For Manushi-II -- Prashant Narang.
12. Formal versus Informal Allocation of Land in a Commons -- Gregg W Kettles.
13. What About 'Unlock' For Vendors? -- Bhuvana Anand, Jayana Bedi & Prashant Narang.
14. A People's Constitution-- Rohit De.
15. The Mystery of Capital -- Hernando De Soto.
16. The Power Broker-- Robert Caro.
17. The Death and Life of Great American Cities -- Jane Jacobs.
Also, do check out The Art of Clear Writing.
Note: This episode was recorded in February 2020.