On the journey with you...
On the journey with you...
SERMON – Training Ground: Scripture and Study – Ed Green
This week Ed Green finishes up our series entitled Training Ground with he practice of scripture and study. Ed shows us that its not just simply reading and its not just collecting information, its meditating on the scriptures and letting them permeate your heart.
SERMON – Training Ground: Forgiveness & Confession – Stew Sheckler
We continue our series on practices for the journey called Training Ground with Stew Sheckler brining us a message about forgiveness. In the current social environment it's easy to get lost in revenge scenarios and let fear drive us, Stew tries to share with us the alternative to retribution, love, which creates a space for us to forgive.
SERMON – Training Ground: Fasting/Detachment – Isaac Seevers
This week Isaac Seevers leads us into the practice of fasting and detachment. He reminds us that fasting is not all about food, or whatever we give up, it's about focusing our hearts and minds on God. He asks us to remember that if we are going to give something up we need to fill it with something that connects us to the Father.
SERMON – Training Ground: Simplicity – Ted Gatlin
Ted Gatlin continued our series called Training Ground this week. Ted showed us that simplicity is removing the complexities of life out of the way by saying, "yes," to something that God is calling you to do, that way its easy to say, "no," to the things that aren't important. Come explore how to declutter your life by saying, "yes!"
SERMON – Training Ground: Sabbath & Solitude – Chris McClure
This week Chris McClure continues our series called Training Ground by teaching us about the practice of sabbath and solitude. Chris helps us see that busyness feels productive and is rewarded by our culture, but to be productive and healthy God built into us a need for sabbath. He challenges us to consider if we are slowing down and giving God space to work or are we trying to control things in hopes of getting things done.
SERMON – Training Ground: Prayer – Stew Sheckler
This week Stew Sheckler kicks off our series with our first practice of the Training Ground: Prayer. Stew explores his struggles with praying and the insight he gleaned from Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers) and the Lord's prayer. Below are the prayer tools he mentions at the end of the sermon:
1. Break the Lord’s prayer into sections:
* Our father who is in heaven, holy is your name: Pray giving God all the focus, attention and honor. Thank him for being God and just be in his presence.
* Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven: Focus on the work you are seeing God do in the world and asking him to show you more.
* Give us today, our daily bread and forgive us of our debts: Share with God what you need. Physical needs, emotional needs, and spiritual needs.
* As we forgive our debtors: Ask God to help you be there for others. Talk with him about being open to being the answer to other people’s prayers.
* Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one: Ask for protection and to open your heart up to the lies from the enemy you might be believing.
2. Examen: It's a prayerful reflection to the day’s events.
* Ask God to make you aware of the moment you were most grateful for that day. Be still until you think of it. Thank God for it.
* Ask God to make you aware of the moment you were the least grateful for that day. Be still until you think of it. Lay that moment before God.
* Ask God to make you aware of the lesson from each moment he wants you to learn. Be still until you think of it.
* Most importantly thank the father for being present in your life.
* Take some time and record each of these in a journal and then sit down and reflect on them with a trusted friend