In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Personal Injury Lawyer, Leeha James. Leeha is a Brisbanite like me and this past few years has been running a successful boutique personal injury practice, helping victims of occupational cancer- often those working in the fireservice. This is such a topical area in Australia at the moment- having just come out of one of the most destructive fire seasons in our history- and until I met Leeha, I had no idea of the dangers that face the men and women that have chosen this career.
Leeha did not set out to be a lawyer and I joked with her after learning a little about her teenage adventures that she is the perfect story of #highschooldropout finds career success. But whatever her way of getting there, it is clear that Leeha loves her work and the many opportunities her career in law has given her. Aside from being a wife and mum, these days you will also find Leeha heading up the Bayside Community Legal Centre where she is volunteering in her ‘free time’ and giving back, as so many in our industry do. This is another great chat with someone who has worked hard, achieved great things and still has many years ahead to do a whole lot more!
In this interview, Leeha and I also chatted about-
* If Leeha was not a lawyer she would have been a florist!
* Leeha grew up in Wollongong NSW and then spent her high school years on the Gold Coast.
* Law was not on the agenda for Leeha and she started her University years completing an Arts degree.
* How Leeha fell into a Law Degree and the important of creative thinking and strategy when it comes to law.
* Leeha completed a 5 year Articles of Clerkship whilst completing her studies (and yes I took the opportunity to again mention that we need to #bringbackarticles)
* The differences between Leeha’s start in the law over 20 years ago and things now.
* Leeha tells a story about a skirt and being the reason she was excluded from Court! Got to love old school law fashion!
* The generational barriers that have been broken down by women like Leeha.
* Feminism and the opportunity of choice.
* Leeha is a Plaintiff Personal Injury Lawyer and shares why she loves this area of the Law.
* 6 years ago Leeha opened her own law firm, James Law.
* Leeha’s experience of starting her own (very successful) firm.
* James Law niches in the area of Occupational Cancer particulalry working with Firefighters.
* Leeha and explains how her work with Firefighters affects the community.
* How Leeha has focused on the client experience of law to build her practice.
* Leeha is a mum of two boys, both in high school and she shares her parenthood tips.
* Leeha has become the Principal Lawyer and President for Bayside Community Legal Services- a role that brings her a lot of joy.
* Leeha encourages lawyers to give back to the community throughout their legal careers.
* Leeha’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Leeha James.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here