(Recorded July 12, 2018)
In our final episode, Brian and Jack get to close things out with an exclusive in-depth “exit interview” (or is that exit Gwenterview?) with Spider-Gwen’s writer and co-creator Jason Latour!
In a conversation that mirrors the spirit of the book, we dig into some big ideas while simultaneously going in all kinds of directions. We talk about Spider-Gwen’s spirit of risk, the power of consequence, and how the series continually defied expectations as part of a unique and personal search for the truth. We unpack the ideas of the series finale, discuss the Spider-Verse trailer and consider where Gwen could go next. We learn more about the upcoming “Spider-Ben” story, get clues about the lost Earth-65 books (!) and hints about Jason’s next project for Marvel. There’s even time for quantum physics and of course, for corn dogs.
Be sure to stick around after the interview, as Jack and Brian offer some final thoughts, share some reflections from our listeners, and bid a fond farewell to Ultimate Spin.
THANK YOU for listening and for your support over the years! It’s been a blast!
* 0:00 – Intro
* 2:28 – In Conversation with Jason Latour: Digging into Spider-Gwen’s themes of Great Power and Great Accountability to find a different take on the Spider-Man mythos. Wearing the mask releases your inhibitions, but then you have to wrestle with the consequences of those inhibitions not being present. Letting go of the fear of failure while in pursuit of the truth. Embracing the craziness of comic books and recapturing the Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe. Considering the finale and looking to the future.
* 1:22:19 – Listener Thoughts, Thank Yous, and Farewell
You can find Jason at:
Our sincere thanks to Jason for taking the time out of his busy schedule to chat with us!
* Ultimate Spin at iTunes
* Ultimate Spin at Stitcher
* Ultimate Spin at Google Play
* Ultimate Spin at Spotify
* Ultimate Spin at Facebook
* Twitter: @theultimatespin
* Ultimate Spin at Instagram
Thanks for listening!