Burst Oral Care, co-founded in August 2017 by Hamish Khayat and Brittany Stewart, has revolutionized the $40 billion oral care industry by providing consumers with high-quality dental products at an accessible price through its direct ship subscription business model.
Together both Hamish, who has recently been voted a Forbes 30 under 30, and Brittany, who I was told by Hamish has won more awards than she knows what to do with, have taken BURST to incredible height in the space of only two years. As the company continues to grow it was a real honour for me to sit down and talk to them both to hear the company's story.
Their amazing relationship as co-founders is obvious and I was very grateful for their time. Below is a few of the topics we covered. It was a seriously enjoyable episode so get stuck in!!
- Some of the early challenges, few early successes, and a few aha moments that happened with the business in the early days.
- Why the US was the best place to start the oral care subscription model.
- Brittany’s ‘success soup’ - an expression I will forever use. Brittany explains how things started to really take shape for Burst and the ingredients that go into that success soup....
- 99% of the time Hamish and Brittany have the same thoughts on a matter but the 1% of time they don’t and they have it out!
- The are both openly confrontational which I find interesting. They always come 'to win the argument.'
- They have worked hard to create a culture where opinion is important but the justification of that opinion is even more important.
- Brittany’s thoughts on servant leadership.
- Having an open and honest dialogue is key to a successful cofounder relationship.
- What their number 1 piece of advice would be to going out and finding a co-founbder for your business.
- How Burst have scaled up and how they plan to scale up further if the the opportunity comes about.
- They each tell me their favourite book / resource that has helped shape their approach to life and business.
Enjoy this episode with Hamish and Brittany... it's a screamer!