A podcast created by the wellness community ambassadors of the University of Calgary: Maaria Shah, Angela Pochakom, and Timi Ajayi. Talking about all things wellness to increase awareness and reduce stigma.
It's Mental Illness Innit
Happy new year and welcome back! This week we take a deeper dive into an array of topics around mental illness like media portrayal of mental illness, self-diagnosis, university/residence policies, and much more with our hosts sharing lots of little anecdotes and personal experiences. Trigger warning: Suicide is mentioned and slightly discussed between 47:10 - 53:55, so feel free to skip ahead if needed. Disclaimer: All thoughts shared in this episode are solely the opinions of the host. Feel free to reach out to us on our website (https://wellnessinres.wixsite.com/uofc) or instagram (@wellnessinres). If this episode causes any distress you are welcome to talk to us or reach out to the distress centre (403-266-4357) or the student wellness centre (403-210-9355).
Mom, Come Pick Me Up I'm Scared
This episode we dive into our fears, how they are affected by society, and what we can do to overcome them. Also, you get to hear about Maaria's fear of creatures coming up toilets. Enjoy!
Sharing is Caring: Experiences from the LGBTQ+ Community
Hi friends! In this episode, we discuss some themes and topics surrounding the LGBTQ+ community. For those of you who may be wondering or questioning your sexuality or sexual orientation or just want to be an ally, below are some resources to help. (*Disclaimer: the attached list is not by any means comprehensive)
- Q Chat Space: a website (https://www.qchatspace.org/) where teens can join live-chat and share amongst each other
- It Gets Better Project: a project aiming to inspire people across the globe to share stories and infuse hope for the future
- UCalgary Q Centre: an on-campus and virtual center
- Outlink: a community-based not-for-profit organization aimed to provide support, education, outreach and referrals for members of the community
- The Calgary Sexual Health Centre & The Centre for Sexuality host a yearly summer camp (Camp fyrefly). More details: https://www.centreforsexuality.ca/programs-workshops/lgbtq/camp-fyrefly/)
- Phone numbers: Distress Centre_403-264-4357, ConnecTeen_403-264-8336, The Alex Youth Health Centre_403-520-6270
They Have Pores Too?
Hello again! In this episode, we focus on the elephant that is technology, covering the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The M Word
Welcome to the first instalment of Elephant In The Room where we cover all things wellness including but not limited to social, physical, spiritual and mental health. On this episode hear us introduce ourselves and cover one of the life's modern mysteries: THE M WORD.