Science fiction author David Barr Kirtley talks geek culture with guests such as Neil Gaiman (#253), George R. R. Martin (#22), Richard Dawkins (#46), Wil Wheaton (#398), Bill Nye (#273), Margaret Atwood (#94), Neil deGrasse Tyson (#32), and Ursula K. Le Guin (#65). Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy has appeared on recommended podcast lists from NPR, The Guardian, The A.V. Club, BBC America, CBC Radio, WVXU, io9, Omni, The Strand, Library Journal, and Popular Mechanics. CBC Radio writes, "You may not think a podcast about science fiction and fantasy would be the place to go for political insight, but -- it is. Geek's Guide to the Galaxy manages to be more insightful about politics than many pundits." Help crowdfund us at patreon.com/geeks
488. Robby Soave, author of Tech Panic: Why We Shouldn't Fear Facebook and the Future
487. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson Book Club (with Anthony Ha, Sam J. Miller, Lisa Yaszek)
486. Awesome 80s Fantasy Movies (with Andrea Kail, Tom Gerencer, Matthew Kressel)
The NeverEnding Story, Labyrinth, Ladyhawke, The Princess Bride
485. Joseph Reisert on Brave New World
484. Daryl Gregory, author of The Album of Dr. Moreau and Unpossible and Other Stories
483. The Green Knight Movie Review (with Erin Lindsey, Christopher M. Cevasco, Lara Elena Donnelly)
Broad and Deep
Very thankful for this show, as it nuances and presents good introductions to aspects of the wonderful worlds of SF and fantasy.
Inspirational, I strongly recommend others to subscribe as well. /Calle
This is by far my favorite podcast! Among the many excellent guests are outstanding, big names like George R.R. Martin, Atwood, LeGuin, Ishiguro etc, and the hosts are well informed, ask diverse and interesting questions and are great at giving their guests the space to talk. Besides interviews there are discussions and panels about all things geek, like a new SF movie or an interesting theme in books. Highly recommended to anyone who is even a little geeky!
The Steve Pinker episode #296:
Seriously – an example of malevoloent AI is that "Russians would programme AI to spew out viruses". You don't have to look that far, brother – your own government has AI running the drone programme at this very moment, killing civilians in foreign countries. Even your own citizens!. But I guess that's OK if you are a white Yank living in the US.