House of God author, Samuel Shem and Prof Katharine Watson share thought-provoking takes on Gallows Humor.
Laugh and listen to this captivating take on the different shades of humor in the day-to-day of medicine.
* 02:33 Episode preview and Guest Introductions
* 04:20 Definition of Gallows Humor
* 07:25 Gallows Humor by Comedians vs Patients vs Physicians
* 08:15 Benefits/Functions of Humor in General
* 11:10 Connection
* 13:07 Coping/Catharsis
* 16:22 Resistance Against Oppression
* 19:03 Humor as our Authenticity/Humanity
The Bad, The Ugly
* 21:01 Unintended Audiences (e.g., patients, families)
* 25:30 “Corporeal” Joking
* 28:00 Toxic Role Modeling
* 31:10 Desensitization/Losing Empathy
* Tips, Takeaways & Conclusion33:48 Challenging Inappropriate Jokes
* 35:45 Excessive Gallows Humor: Signal of Distress?
* 37:17 Using Gallows Humor: Questions to Ask Yourself
* 38:40 Keeping the Faith!
* 41:11 Excerpt from Man’s 4th Best Hospital by Samuel Shem
Transcript and References (https://www.coreimpodcast.com/2019/10/30/gallows-humor/)
Tag: medical humanities, medical ethics, CoreIM, IMCore