How do you learn from diagnostic errors? Walk through a case that the host had initially gotten wrong and uncover possible reasons as why from data gathering to hypothesis generation to the interplay between hypothesis generation and evaluation. Learn interesting tidbits on prior work in medical education around how we think, particularly around diagnostic failures.
CME Credit: https://www.acponline.org/cme-moc/cme/internal-medicine-podcasts/core-im (https://www.acponline.org/cme-moc/cme/internal-medicine-podcasts/core-im)
* 02:39 Case Introduction
* 04:46 Yes/No questions with our first two discussants
* 18:43 The diagnosis is revealed
* 21:14 Why did I miss the diagnosis?
* 27:44 Using diagnostic problem solving to break down the case and understand our errors
* 30:20 The importance of data gathering
* 30:49 Introducing our third clinician
* 34:17 Hypothesis generation
* 37:11 The interplay between hypothesis generation and evaluation
* 38:34 The win-stay, lose-shift heuristic
* 41:33 Cognitive forcing strategies
* 49:32 Knowledge vs. experience
Tags: Dermatology, rash, DRESS, AGEP, varicella