In this episode Suzanne Dailey dives into different tools and strategies that we can use to help stay a healthy mental space throughout the school year.
1. What do I need to do to know that I am getting in a good head space, a good heart space, conserving my limited energy, and maximizing the capacity that I have.
2. We need to support one another when things are going really well and we need to acknowledge and support one another when we are collectively really tired.
3. We need to feel content, aligned, and balanced.
4. When our cup is empty it doesn’t mean that we are doing life wrong. I firmly believe that means we’re doing it right.
5. Happiness is an inside job.
6. Gratitude is the single practice that can permanently increase our happiness baseline.
7. Gratitude is consistent practice.
8. Find three things that you are grateful for.
9. When we are looking to be grateful we are scanning around to look for things that are good and are right.
10. Choose what you lean into and pay attention too!
11. If we can show our 2nd graders what gratitude looks like imagine what it will look like to them when they are 18, 28, or 38.
12. Have a gratitude journals with your students.
13. Things don’t get easier we just learn to do hard better.
14. Small shifts, biggest gifts
15. Have 2 degree shifts in our thoughts, goals, and actions.
16. What is the energy that we are choosing to surround ourselves with.
17. You have the influence on how much of someone’s energy you get. Leaves us 80 to 90 percent to choose.
18. There is power to intentional acts of kindness.
19. If you perform an intentional act of kindness you feel better.
20 .If you are having a tough day and do a kind act it can truly help you.
21. Have students come up with an intentional act of kindness for your students.
22. Bid for connections.
23. Podcast recommendations: Happiness Lab
24. Book recommendation: Strive for Happiness by Rob Dunlop, Bold Gratitude by Lanie Rowell
25. What did your summer self do to help you feel rested, rejuvinated, and calm? How can you bring that into your school self?
Teach Happier This School Year: 40 Weeks of Inspiration and reflection:
Teach Happier: https://suzannedailey.com/podcast
Suzanne Dailey is an instructional coach in the Central Bucks School District where she has the honor and joy of working with elementary teachers and students in 15 buildings. Suzanne is Nationally Board Certified, a Fellow of the National Writing Project, and has a Masters Degree in Reading. She is the author of Teach Happier this School Year: 40 Weeks of Inspiration & Reflection (ASCD, January 2023). She also writes for the Teach Better Team in her monthly blog series, "Teach Happier" and hosts the "Teach Happier" weekly podcast. She is dedicated to nurturing and developing the whole child and teacher and loves sharing strategies at workshops and conferences. Suzanne lives in Doylestown, Pennsylvania with her husband, two children and English Bulldog.
Twitter (X) : DaileySuzanne