This week on The 4Ms (# 017), I teamed up with Misty Lynch who is a certified financial planner, investment advisor, and certified life coach at Beck Bode, wife, and mom of two.
In this episode (# 017 ), we talk about:
- Misty's one year spending freeze where she had a one-click shopping habit that increased when she was up all night with her infant, busy with her job, and her 2 yr old. She saw an article about a no spend month someone did and knew she could do it for a year. She decided she had enough and decided to try it, and wrote a blog about it.
- Why it is so easy to spend money on some things and not on other things! Misty shares her thought on how we all have things we think are worth it, and things we think are ridiculous. We are quick to judge other people. Think about what you love to spend money on and make room for that in your budget.
- People splurge, and call it self-care. But, it’s not self care if it sabotages your budget. Self care does not have to be expensive. Women tend to need to justify everything they do because we aren’t usually comfortable with money or spending it on ourselves. When I want a $15 glass of wine I buy it and don’t feel the need to call it “self care." Women are allowed to want things. Men do not do this. Self care is managing your time, your money and your mind so you can handle life better.
- How to be more mindful with spending? Slow down, and make it a tiny bit harder - it has never been easier to spend money. Look at what you are spending on, and think about what you want to focus on and spend accordingly. People change and you may spend a lot on things you don’t care about - that can be better used elsewhere.
- Thoughts on prenuptial agreement for second marriage? Marriage is beautiful and romantic but it is also a business partnership. If you have assets that are yours and you want to protect them - in a first or second marriage you need to have this conversation. Taxes, health insurance, retirement accounts, student loan payments etc. all become impacted when you change your marital status - if you can treat each other well before marriage with this stuff it will help the “partnership”. Third parties can help if it is too awkward.
To listen, head to my bio for the link, or search “The 4Ms with Molly” wherever you listen to podcasts.
Sign up for Molly’s weekly newsletter here!
Schedule a free 30 minute nutrition consult with Molly here!
Follow Molly on Instagram here!
Find Molly' website here!
You can find our guest, Misty Lynch (she/her):
Budget Checklist: https://mailchi.mp/b634e8c7e08f/mistybudgetchecklist