How much room is there for emotional granularity at work? And what is "cheugy"? [35:05]
This week, special guests Katie Sadow and Ilana Bondell join Joey to talk about the connection between specific language and feelings, physical responses to emotions, the benefits of emotional intelligence, the inherent cringe of social media, generational earnestness and youthful pushback, and the metabolism of jumping the shark. They don’t talk about Selena Gomez's feelings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJDTxahav0).
* What is emotional granularity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_granularity)?
* The New York Times: There’s a Name for the Blah You’re Feeling: It’s Called Languishing (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/well/mind/covid-mental-health-languishing.html)
* Neuroscientist Lisa Feldman Barrett writes about using words to master emotions (https://ideas.ted.com/try-these-two-smart-techniques-to-help-you-master-your-emotions/)
* The late Dr. John E. Sarno (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno), a leading thinker on the mind-body connection
* The Cure for Chronic Pain (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-cure-for-chronic-pain-with-nicole-sachs-lcsw/id1439580309) podcast by Nicole Sachs, LCSW, and her explanation of JournalSpeak (https://mytmsjourney.com/resources/journalspeak-by-nicole-sachs-lcsw/)
* Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
* 14,000 Things to Be Happy About. by Barbara Ann Kipfer
* The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows (https://www.dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com/)
* Rebecca Jennings tries to explain "cheugy" (https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2021/5/4/22418174/cheugy-hey-bestie-girlie-tiktok-girlboss) in Vox's The Goods
* (Possibly cheugy) Urban Dicitonary: Carpe DM (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Carpe%20DMs)
* We still have merch! (https://www.bonfire.com/store/criticalnonsense/)