"You didn't have a choice in the loss of your child, but you do get to choose what you do from there. You have a choice in what you do with the rest of your life."
I am Dr. Shelly Mahon, your host. And today, you are listening to The Parenting Well Podcast. Today's Well Source is Michele Benyo. Michele is a Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, a parent coach, and the founder of Good Grief Parenting. After her 6-year-old son died of cancer, her 3-year-old daughter said, “Mommy, half of me is gone.” This heartbreaking statement focused Michele’s career as an early childhood parenting specialist on the impact of grief on young children, particularly after child loss. Michele equips parents and other caring adults to recognize young children’s grief and to provide the support children need to cope well with any loss. The desire of Michele’s heart is to see families live forward after loss toward a future bright with possibilities and even joy.
In this podcast, we discuss:
- Tips for recognizing when your child is grieving.
- Being equipped to support your child through grief and loss.
- Handling difficult feelings.
- How to manage your own grief so you can be there for your child.
- Creating space and simple ways to have important conversations.
- Trusting your instincts.
- Living FORWARD after the loss of a child.
- Michele's website: Good Grief Parenting
- Resource: The Good Grief Guide
- Michele's LinkedIn Profile
- Michele's Instagram Account