Today’s show is about one of my most favorite topics in the world: sleep. I’ll admit that my thinking about sleep has changed a lot over the years as I’ve learned more. Whether you’re a champion sleeper or someone who needs to pay more attention to rest, today’s show has helpful information and expert tips for you. Join us!
Our Featured Guest
Liz Slonena is a psychologist in Asheville, NC. She has expertise in sleep and insomnia, and I wanted to have her share her insights with us. Pandemic stressors and the blurred lines between work life and home life have been contributing factors to sleep problems for many therapists. We will talk about why quality sleep matters, the basics of sleep cycles, and how our hustle culture has impacted our sleep. We’ll finish up with practical tips about improving sleep.
Use code #STC for premium access to Aura, an all-in-one wellness app
Find Dr. Liz’s free mindful hypnosis videos on https://www.youtube.com/c/yourzenwithinrelaxwithdrliz/search (YouTube)
● What happens during the normal sleep cycles: light, restful, deep, and REM
● How disruptions can affect sleep cycles
● The connection between quality sleep and mood
● How sleep helps your immune system, neurogenesis, and muscle growth and repair
● How deep sleep is the “washing cycle” for brain and body, flushing out negative thoughts and toxins
● How hustle culture and internalized capitalism (the belief that our worth is tied to our productivity and what we DO) can compound our sleep difficulties
● Why sleep is the first thing we cut away when cramped for time, even though it’s really our most effective superpower
● The specific challenges of entrepreneurship in getting enough sleep
● The intricacies of racism and stereotypes related to internalized capitalism
● Why rest is rebellious and radical empowerment
● The importance of finding peace and balance in life through prioritizing rest
● Liz’s tips for improved sleep:
○ Clearly communicate boundaries to clients and colleagues about your hours and availability.
○ Have a physical wind-down ritual for your body and mind to signal the transition from work.
○ Write a gratitude or “win” list each night before bed.
● What’s up next for Dr. Liz? Become a Better Sleeper course and podcast are coming soon!
Today’s Sponsor:https://sellingthecouch.com/zynnyme ( Zynnyme)Zynnyme was founded in 2010 by therapists and private practice owners Kelly Higdon and Miranda Palmer. Kelly and Miranda have become good friends of mine who have helped me immensely on my business journey + they've helped over 50k of our colleagues.
I credit their Business School Boot Camp for helping build the business and life that I imagined. Their values align with mine in helping clients build valuable and gratifying businesses while living healthy, happy, and sustainable lives.
Check out their website for a wealth of resources and services + sign up for a free four-day, live private practice marketing masterclass they're putting together to help us establish a private practice with the best outcomes and income at https://www.sellingthecouch.com/zynnyme (sellingthecouch.com/zynnyme)
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
🎙️ Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business (Lessons Learned From 9 Downloads On Day 1 To 1.2 Million And a 7 Income Stream Business)