Jessica Pierce (https://www.jessicapierce.net/) is a bioethicist & writer. Her work focuses on human-animal relationships & interconnections between ecosystems & health. Her "All dogs go to heaven" blog at Psychology Today is here https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/all-dogs-go-heaven.
In these Sentientist Conversations we talk about the two most important questions: “what’s real?” & “what matters?” Sentientism is "evidence, reason & compassion for all sentient beings." The video of our conversation is on the Sentientism Youtube here: https://youtu.be/mUg6gWbCo1U
- Training in philosophy & religious studies
- How ethics intersects w/biomedical science
- Working for 10 years in medicine
- Medicine can damage and enable health
- Shifting to focus on non-human animal ethics
- Companion animal relationships & the experience of losing Ody
- The parallels between non-human animal & human care/ethics
- Breaking the default assumption that "humans are the raw materials of ethics"
- Growing up in an "outdoorsy" family in the Sierras & Colorado
- Attending Buddhist temples, synagogues, churches. A wide variety of religions
- Finding kernels of truth in every tradition but "you don't want to get stuck in one"
- Studying religion from undergrad to phd
- "How is someone with a phd in religion an atheist?" "When you study religion it turns you that way."
- Not rejecting the theist traditions, but also not embracing them
- If there is some "god" (with a small "g") then it's in nature and if there's a "heaven" then its a state of mind, a state of being in harmony and peace.
- "Humans are not the centre of the universe"
- Our attitude that we can just exploit and use the world is an offense
- "I would put myself in that camp of naturalism"
- The appeal of pantheism
- The trap of human arrogance (both scientists and religious people seeing humans as "like gods")
- And much more (visit Sentientism.info for full show notes)...
Sentientism is “Evidence, reason & compassion for all sentient beings.” More at https://sentientism.info/. Join our "wall" https://sentientism.info/wall/ using this form: https://sentientism.info/im-a-sentientist.
Everyone interested, Sentientist or not, is welcome to join our groups. Our main one is on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/sentientism.
Thanks Graham for you post-prod work: https://twitter.com/cgbessellieu.