The marketplace has shifted. Retainers/AORs are becoming less common, and brands are moving toward project-based client/agency relationships. But that shouldn’t worry agency owners, because there’s plenty of opportunity within that trend. Just ask Rudy Fernandez.
Rudy founded his entire agency, Creative Outhouse, on the idea of project-based work in October 2001. He’s managed to successfully grow his agency without a single AOR contract in almost 2 decades.
He came on The Innovative Agency podcast to highlight 7 ways agency owners can leverage the trend towards transactional-based client relationships.
What we talked about:
(1) Monetize the idea rather than the production
(2) Find pockets of money (even at larger brands)
(3) Leverage the shorter lifespan of CMOs
(4) Collab with larger agencies by leveraging your niche
(5) Have some ‘Street Fighter’
(6) Maintain robust freelancer relationships
(7) Recognize referrals as the main business driver
Bonus friendly reminder: leave your creatives alone
To hear more from Innovative Agency owners, listen to The Innovative Agency podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or on our website.