Seattle Times (@seattletimes) environment reporter Lynda V Mapes (@LyndaVMapes) on dams versus salmon, saving the southern resident orcas and how Tahlequah changed the world. "All the things we do for our comfort, convenience and commerce are not good for the southern residents. And that’s just fact."
Skaana podcasts connect you to news and experts and their discussions about environments, oceans, and orcas.
* Join the Pod......https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
* Apple Podcasts.........www.skaana.ca
* The Orca Bites Podcast (on anchor) .........www.orcabites.com
* Skaana home......www.skaana.org
* Skaana on Medium......www.orcatales.com
* Our Latest Orca Videos...www.jpod.news
Support Our Guest
* Website: http://www.lyndavmapes.com/
* Seattle Times: https://www.seattletimes.com/author/lynda-v-mapes/
* Orca: Shared Waters, Shared Home: https://www.amazon.ca/Orca-Shared-Waters-Home/dp/1680513265
Books on Amazon and Classes
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!
* The Killer Whale Who Changed the World… http://amzn.to/2pRNU1q
* Orcas Everywhere… http://www.orcaseverywhere.com
* Paint the Ocean You Wish to See with Rayne Ellycrys Benu… https://orcapaint.net
* The Force of Doubt by Rayne Ellycrys Benu... https://books2read.com/forceofdoubt
00:30 - Lynda Mapes on falling in love with Ocean Sun
1:50 - Skaana introduction to Lynda Mapes and Tahlequah
9:31 - Removing dams and saving orcas
10:47 - “What do we want the next 150 years to look like?”
11:06 - Becoming the environmental reporter for Seattle newspapers and covering the Makah whale hunt.
15:25 - “We have a motto at the Seattle Times - news you can’t get anywhere else.”
17:11 - Seattle Times epic orca coverage - Hostile Waters - Orcas in Peril https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/hostile-waters-orcas-killer-whale-puget-sound-washington-canada/
19:30 - Hearing about Tahlequah and her daughter: “And I thought, she won’t let it go. I’m not letting it go.”
20:26 - “I don’t think she ever dropped it. I think it fell apart.”
21:04 - “By the time we wrote that last story where she dropped the calf, there were six million people reading that story online.”
21:13 - Scientists know that these very sophisticated intelligent animals grieve and that that’s what she was doing… these are families.”