This is the ultimate guide to golf travel hosted by Ashley Mayo of GOLF.com. Ashley and friends want to show you where to go, how to get there, and what to see. Knowing that golfers travel to escape the mundane, get inspired, and have fun, she’ll reveal obscure destinations, discuss new ways to experience well-known spots, and offer tips that’ll help golfers of all levels master the art of travel. So buckle up, because the journey starts here.
Filmmaker and former caddie Oliver Horovitz
Oliver Horovitz is a writer, filmmaker, and former caddie on the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland. Before attending Harvard, he completed a gap year at the University of St. Andrews, in Scotland. His experience led him to author a book entitled, An American Caddie in St. Andrews. These days you can catch him golfing his way through the Big Apple, while hosting a series on GOLF Channel ‘Caddie Codes.’ If you’ve ever wanted to take your golf game to new heights, Oliver could give you a list of where to consider.
Introducing Ran Morrissett As GOLF's New Architecture Editor
The study of golf course architecture is a subjective art form. To understand why some courses command greater respect than others requires extensive knowledge, personal experience, and an astute eye. Ran Morrissett, GOLF’s new Architecture Editor, checks all three criteria and has in-depth knowledge of the world’s finest course designs. His constant fascination with understanding where courses rank coupled with his opinionated but objected feedback are what make him a voice to respect.
Here are highlights from our discussion with Ran:
1. (2:18) - The book that ignited his passion for golf course architecture
2. (5:44) - The moment he first started caring about golf course rankings
3. (6:43) - The purpose golf course rankings serve
4. (12:55) - The most recent turning point in golf course design
5. (14:04) - The single quality that makes a great golf course great
6. (18:07) - The elements of design that almost-always ruin a course
7. (20:40) - Fun is back on the menu
8. (22:08) - 3 golf little-known golf destinations Ran loves
9. (25:08) - Is it even necessary for golf courses to have 18 holes?
Playing And Staying At Pinehurst
Ashley Mayo discusses the full experience of playing and staying at one of the most renowned resorts. Sean Zak asks fan questions and Ashley fields them based on her visits to Pinehurst.
The Ultimate Bandon Dunes Experience
Ashley Mayo discusses the full experience of playing and staying at the premiere golfing destination. Sean Zak asks fan questions and Ashley fields them based on her seven visits to the rugged Pacific coast of southern Oregon.