Cris Cohen interviews professional musicians to get the stories behind every beat, chord, and lyric.
Jett Beres of Sister Hazel
I interviewed bassist Jett Beres of Sister Hazel. We discussed:The 20th anniversary of the album "Chasing Daylight"Why this is his favorite Sister Hazel albumThe song written in a hot tubHow the role of the bass in a song mirrors his role in the bandWhat he learned from getting a degree in Architecture that applies to his work as a musicianAnd moreRecorded February 10, 2023
Billy Sheehan of Talas
Cris Cohen interviews bassist Billy Sheehan. They discuss:
The new Talas album, "1985"With live performing, "If you think, you stink.""Chaos on a leash"The two songs that made him pull his car to the side of road so he could listen more intentlyAnd moreRecorded October 2022
Dennis Diken of The Smithereens
Cris Cohen interviews Dennis Diken of The Smithereens. They discuss:
- Their new release, "The Lost Album"
- The emotional aspect of listening to the late Pat DiNizio singing on these tracks
- "Playing for the song is the best approach a musician can take."
- Being influenced by drummer Buddy Saltzman, best known for his work with the Four Seasons
- "It's like you are having a dialogue musically"
- And more
Interview recorded September of 2022
Mike Portnoy of The Winery Dogs
Cris Cohen interviews Mike Portnoy of The Winery Dogs. They discuss:The new Winery Dogs album "III" (release date: 02/03/2023)Playing with bassist Billy Sheehan"Everybody in this band has chops for days, but it is not about flexing them at all times."How his Winery Dogs drum kit is WAY scaled back compared to the ones he used with Dream Theater and Liquid Tension ExperimentAnd morebandstofans.com
Lawrence Gowan of Styx
Cris Cohen interviews Lawrence Gowan of Styx. They discuss:
- "The beauty of a band is that it is the essence of a combined spirit."
- Styx's influence on Lawrence and his influence on Styx
- His onstage, theatrical sense of fun
- The special moment during a concert in Toronto performing one of his solo tunes with Styx
- The challenges and unexpected benefits of finishing the album "Crash Of The Crown" remotely
- His performance of Rush's "Limelight" in concert as a tribute to Neil Peart
- And more
Drummer Sandy Gennaro | Beat The Odds
Cris Cohen talks with drummer Sandy Gennaro (Cyndi Lauper / Joan Jett) about his new book, "Beat The Odds (in Business & Life)". They discuss:
- Surviving and thriving even in an environment as unstable as the music business
- Belief, Enthusiasm, Attitude, Tenacity, Service
- Applying the lessons of the book in the internet age
- And more